Dr Virginia Crisp
Lecturer in Cultural and Creative Industries
Tel +44 (0)20 7848 0519
Culture, Media and Creative Industries
King’s College London
1.07 Chesham Building
Research Interests and PhD supervision
Dr Crisp joined CMCI at King’s in 2016. She previously worked at Coventry University as the Course Director for the BA in Media and Communications and Middlesex University as a Senior Lecturer in Media and Cultural Studies.
Virginia is the co-founder (with Dr Gabriel Menotti Gonring) of the Besides the Screen Network (www.besidesthescreen.com), a network that brings together academics, filmmakers, artists and industry professionals from across the globe to consider the transformation of audiovisual media practices. She is also the Principal Investigator on the AHRC networking grant attached to this project.
Virginia is a member of the Piracy Lab (www.piracylab.com) an international research network concerned with analyzing the way media piracy affects contemporary society.
Virginia has an MA in Film Studies from UCL and completed her doctoral work on the distribution of East Asian cinema in the UK at Goldsmiths, University of London in 2012.
- Media distribution
- Copyright infringement (media piracy)
- Media Industries
- Gatekeepers and Cultural Intermediaries
- Media audiences and fandom
Virginia’s research concerns the changing modes and mechanisms of media distribution: both legal/illegal and formal/informal. She is particularly interested in how issues of access, ownership, participation and control are enacted within both traditional and new media contexts. Her monograph, Film Distribution in the Digital Age: Pirates and Professionals (Palgrave: 2015) investigates the relationship between formal and informal methods of film distribution with a particular focus on film piracy.
Virginia welcomes PhD students related to any of her research interests.
For a complete list of publications, please see Virginia's full research profile.
- Crisp, Virginia and McCulloch, Richard (May 2016) ‘Sing-a-longs and Cinephiles: Exhibition and Contemporary Cult Audiences at the Prince Charles Cinema’ Participations: Journal of Audience & Reception Studies, Special themed issue - Inside-the-scenes: The rise of experiential cinema 13 (1)
- Crisp, Virginia (2016) ‘Disingenuous Intermediaries: Expanding Definitions of Film Distribution’ In Gabriel Menotti, Patricia Moran and Marcos Bastos, eds. Cinema Apesar da Imagem (translated into Portuguese)
- Crisp, Virginia (2015) Pirates and Professionals: Film Distribution in the Digital Age, London: Palgrave
- Crisp, Virginia and Gabriel Menotti Gonring (2015) Besides the Screen: Moving Images through Distribution, Promotion and Curation, London: Palgrave.
- Crisp, Virginia (2014) 'To Name A Thief: Constructing the Deviant Pirate' in Martin Fredriksson and James Arvanitakis eds. Piracy: Leakages from Modernity, Los Angeles, CA: Litwin Books
Expertise and Public Engagement
Dr Crisp is the Programme Director of the MA Cultural and Creative Industries. She teaches on the core modules, Contested Cultures and Research Approaches as well as co-leading the CCI Dissertation Module.
2016 - Awarded a Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (HEA)
2010 - Awarded Postgraduate Certificate in the Management of Learning and Teaching at Goldsmiths, University of London