Dr Joanne Entwistle
Senior Lecturer, Culture and Creative Industries
Tel +44 (0)20 7848 1504
Culture, Media and Creative Industries
King’s College London
339N Norfolk Building
Research Interests and PhD supervision
Dr Joanne Entwistle is senior lecturer in culture and
creative industries and PhD Programme Director and PhD Admissions Tutor.
She has been in the Department since April 2011. She has
previously worked at London College of Fashion, University of the Arts, London; University of North London (now London Metropolitan University), and in the Sociology
Department at the University of Essex.
- the sociology of fashion
- dress and embodiment
- cultural work
- cultural workers and processes of cultural mediation
- aesthetic labour
Joanne welcomes applications for PhD topics related to any of her research interests.
Dr Entwistle has published widely on fashion, dress and the body, The Fashioned Body: fashion, dress and modern social theory (Polity, 2000, new edition forthcoming, 2015) and The Aesthetic Economy of Fashion: markets and value in clothing and modelling (Berg , 2009). Her co-edited books include Body Dressing (with Elizabeth Wilson, Berg, 2001), and Fashioning Models: Image, Industry,Text (with Elizabeth Wissinger, 2012, Bloomsbury).
Her new research comes under the umbrella ‘Configuring Light/Staging the Social’ and is a research programme run in collaboration with Dr Don Slater, and Mona Sloane, LSE Cities. This programme involves a number of related research projects and international events, notably, an ESRC-funded Configuring Light seminar series (2014-17), collaboration with Speirs+Major, Derby City Council, the Social Light Movement, and the Peabody. Dr Entwistle is currently working on a related project, “Staging the Home: Configuring domestic light”, which explores consumer understandings and domestic lighting in the UK as part of a large research programme at LSE Cities, ‘Configuring Light/Staging the Social’.
For more details, please see her full research profile.
Expertise and Public Engagement
Selected Books and Edited Books
- Entwistle, J. and E. Wissinger, Eds. (2012). Fashioning Models: Image, Industry, Text. London, Bloomsbury.
Entwistle, J. (2000). The Fashioned Body: fashion, dress and modern social theory. Cambridge, Polity Press.
Entwistle, J. and E. Wilson, Eds. (2001). Body Dressing. Oxford, Berg.
Entwistle, J. (2009). The aesthetic economy of fashion: markets and value in clothing and modelling. Oxford, Berg.
- Entwistle, J. and D. Slater (2013). "Reassembling the cultural: fashion models, brands and the meaning of 'culture' after ANT." Journal of Cultural Economy
- Entwistle, J. and A. Mears (2013). "Gender on display: performativity in fashion modelling." Cultural Sociology 7(3): 320-335.
- Entwistle, J. (forthcoming 2015). Latour, actor-network-theory and fashion. Thinking through Fashion . A. Rocamora.
- Entwistle, J., D. Slater, et al. (forthcoming, 2015). Lighting Derby. Cities of Light: the invention and future of electric urbanism. S. Isenstadt and D. Neumann, Taylor& Francis/Routledge.
Editorial advisory Board Member, Critical Studies in Fashion and Beauty.
Virtual Advisory Board Member ESRC project, 'If the Shoe Fits: Footwear, Identification and Transition' (University of Sheffield).
Invited Visiting Professor at Copenhagen Business School 'Creative Encounters' Research Centre (1 April - 30 June, 2009).
This was a fully-funded position in the Faculty under the auspices of the Otto Mønsted Fund.
Adjunct Professor University of Technology, Sydney, Australia (appointed in June 2006).