Professor Sarah Cooper
Professor of Film Studies
Tel +44 (0)20 7848 2441
Address Film Studies Department
King's College London
Norfolk Building, Strand Campus
London, WC2R 2LS
Research Interests and PhD supervision
Sarah was an undergraduate and a postgraduate student at Cambridge University, Corpus Christi College, where she completed a BA Honours Degree in Modern and Medieval Languages (French and German), an MPhil in European Literature, and a PhD thesis on French feminist theory and North American queer theory. She worked as a Staff Fellow and Newton Trust Lecturer in French Studies at Trinity Hall, Cambridge University from 1998-2004, before moving to King’s to lecture in Film Studies from 2004.
- film theory and continental philosophy
- ethics and film, especially documentary
- modern critical theory, especially feminist theory, queer theory, and psychoanalysis
- French cinema
Sarah welcomes applications for PhD topics related to any of her research interests.
For more details, please see her full research profile.
- The Soul of Film Theory (London: Palgrave, 2013) (209pp.).
- Chris Marker (Manchester: Manchester University Press, 2008) (204 pp.).
- Selfless Cinema? Ethics and French Documentary (Oxford: Legenda, 2006) (102 pp.).
- Relating to Queer Theory: Rereading Sexual Self-Definition with Irigaray, Kristeva, Wittig, and Cixous (Bern: Peter Lang, 2000) (231 pp.).
- ‘The Occluded Relation: Levinas and Cinema’, Special Issue of Film-Philosophy, vol 11, no 2 (August 2007), http://www.film-philosophy.com (143 pp.).
For a complete list of publications, please see Sarah's full research profile.
Expertise and Public Engagement
At BA and MA level she has contributed to team teaching various introductory courses, and has also taught undergraduate modules on Film Theory (a range from classical to contemporary theory); Documentary Film; Fathers in Film; Cinema and Spectatorship; and a postgraduate module, Thinking Cinema with Emmanuel Levinas: Theory, Philosophy, Ethics.
Sarah is co-editor of the ‘Thinking Cinema’ book series with Continuum.
Sarah is on the editorial board of the on-line journal Film-Philosophy.