Dr Lawrence Napper
Senior Lecturer in Film Studies
Tel +44 (0)20 7848 7547
Film Studies Department
King's College London
338 Norfolk Building
Research Interests and PhD supervision
Lawrence gained his PhD at the University of East Anglia in 2001, and is also a graduate of UEA’s Film Studies with an Archiving MA. He was senior researcher on UEA’s British Cinema History Research Project from 2001-2005, and taught on the MA and BA courses at UEA.
Since 2005 he has taught at a variety of institutions, including Southampton University, De Montford University, Birkbeck College and The University of Greenwich. He is currently a full time lecturer at King's College London.
- British cinema and popular culture before 1970
- silent cinema
- film adaptation and cross media connections
- film archiving
- representations of the 1914-18 war
Lawrence Napper is currently working on a study of British film in the 1920s and its relationship to the First World War. His book, British Cinema and Middlebrow Culture in the Interwar Years, was published by the University of Exeter Press in February 2009.
Lawrence welcomes applications for PhD topics related to any of his research interests.
For more details, please see his full research profile.
- "No Limits: The British Comedy Film of the 1930s" in Ian Hunter & Laraine Porter (eds), British Comedy Cinema (Routledge, 2012)
- "British Cinema" in Jill Nelmes (ed.) Introduction to Film Studies: fifth edition (Routledge, 2011)
- "Remembrance, Re-membering, Recollection: Walter Summers and the WW1 Drama in 1920s British Cinema”, in Michael Hammond & Michael Williams (eds) British Silent Cinema and the Great War (Palgrave Macmillan, 2011)
- "British Gaiety: Musical Cinema and the Theatrical Tradition in British Film" In Steven Cohan (ed.) The Sound of Musicals (BFI Palgrave, 2010)
- Lawrence Napper, British Cinema and The Middlebrow in the Interwar Years (Exeter University Press, 2009)
Expertise and Public Engagement
His teaching interests include Silent Cinema, British Cinema, Cinema and War, The Hollywood Musical and the representation of London on film.
Lawrence has appeared on BBC4 television documentaries including The Cinema Show: The Forgotten Decade, and Glamour's Golden Age: Hooked on Hollywood".