Dr Iain Smith
Lecturer in Film Studies
Tel +44 (0)20 7848 7876
Film Studies Department
King's College London
Room 448, Norfolk Building
2006 -2011 University of Nottingham
- AHRC Funded PhD in Film Studies
2004-2005 University of Nottingham
- AHRC Funded MA in Film Studies: Distinction
1999-2003 University of Glasgow
- MA (Hons) in English Literature/Film and Television Studies: First Class
Before joining King’s in 2016, Iain Robert Smith was Senior Lecturer in Film Studies at the University of Roehampton (2010-2016)
- Transnational Cinemas post-1945
- Popular Asian Cinemas
- Film Adaptation and Remakes
- Cult and Exploitation Cinemas
- Global Hollywood
To date, Iain Robert Smith’s research has focused on the transnational dimensions of popular cinema, with a particular interest in the ways in which texts are adapted and remade globally. His first monograph, The Hollywood Meme: Transnational Adaptations in World Cinema, is the first comprehensive study of the transnational adaptations of Hollywood such as the Turkish remake of The Exorcist and the Bollywood remake of Memento.
Iain is currently working on a research project investigating Bollywood B-Movies in relation to transnationalism.
Iain welcomes applications for PhD topics related to any of his research interests.
- Transnational Film Remakes. Co-edited with Constantine Verevis. (Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press, 2017)
- The Hollywood Meme: Transnational Adaptations in World Cinema (Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press, 2016)
- Media Across Borders: Localizing TV, Film and Video Games. Co-edited with Andrea Esser and Miguel Á. Bernal-Merino. (New York: Routledge, 2016)
- “Cowboys and Indians: Transnational Borrowings in the Indian Masala Western,” Spaghetti Westerns at the Crossroads: Studies in Relocation, Transition and Appropriation. Ed. Austin Fisher. (Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press, 2016)
- “Batsploitation: Parodies, Fan Films and Remakes,” Many More Lives of the Batman. Eds. Roberta Pearson, William Uricchio, Will Brooker. (London: BFI/Palgrave, 2015)
Iain Robert Smith has taught on a wide range of topics including modules on film history, world cinemas, film adaptation and cult cinema.
Expertise and Public Engagement
Iain is co-founder and co-chair of the SCMS Transnational Cinemas scholarly interest group, and co-investigator on the AHRC-funded research network Media Across Borders.
He is a member of the editorial boards for the journals Transnational Cinemas and Intensities: Journal of Cult Media.