Professor Ginette Vincendeau
Professor in Film Studies
Tel +44 (0)20 7848 1038
Film Studies Department
King's College London
559 Norfolk Building
Research Interests and PhD supervision
Educated in Paris at the Lycée Lamartine and the Lycée Sophie-Germain. Licence ès-lettres in English Language and Literature (Université de la Sorbonne Nouvelle, Paris III) and PhD in Film Studies (University of East Anglia, UK).
Chevalier de l'Ordre des Arts et des Lettres, 1998, for services to French culture
Previously Professor of Film Studies at the University of Warwick, UK
Visiting Professorships: University of Bordeaux 3 (2010); Ecole Normale Supérieure, Paris (2004); Université de la Sorbonne Nouvelle, Paris III (1997
- French cinema, especially popular genres (thriller, film noir, heritage, comedy)
- Stardom and celebrities in France
- European and Hollywood film stars
- National and trans-national cinema
- Women's cinema and gender in the cinema
Ginette Vincendeau is currently co-editing a book on Paris in the cinema. She has recently published on ethnicity in contemporary French cinema and is researching popular French directors of the 1950s and 1960s.
Ginette welcomes applications for PhD topics related to any of her research interests.
For more details, please see Ginette's full research profile.
- Brigitte Bardot, The Life, The Legend, The Movies, Carlton, 2014
- A Companion to Jean Renoir, edited by Alastair Phillips and Ginette Vincendeau, Wiley-Blackwell, 2013.
- Brigitte Bardot, BFI Palgrave Macmillan, 2013.
- The French New Wave: Critical Landmarks (co-edited with Peter Graham), London: BFI, 2009.
- Journeys of Desire, European Actors in Hollywood (co-edited, with Alastair Phillips), London: BFI, 2006.
- La Haine, London: I.B. Tauris, 2005.
- Jean-Pierre Melville, 'An American in Paris', London: BFI, 2003.
- Film/Literature/Heritage, A Sight and Sound Reader (ed.), London: BFI, 2001.
For a complete list of publications, please see Ginette's full research profile.
Expertise and Public Engagement
Ginette has taught courses on The French New Wave, Film history; French cinema; European cinema; Film stardom; Crime cinema and film noir; Women's cinema; Feminist film theory; Authorship, especially in European cinema.
Series editor of the Cine-Files, French Film Guides series at I.B. Tauris
Regular film reviews for Sight and Sound, BBC Radio 3, Radio 4 and the BBC World Service.
Commentaries and introductions for DVDs of Le Mépris, Le Grand jeu, L’Armée des ombres, Le Cercle rouge, Le Samouraï, Léon Morin prêtre, Le Doulos, L'Année dernière à Marienbad, Le Corbeau, Les Dimanches de Ville-D’Avray, Chronique d’un été, Une corde, un colt.