Dr Robyn Repko Waller
Lecturer in Philosophy
Tel +44 (0)20 7848 2229
Address Room 708, Philosophy Building
King’s College London
Dr Waller studied Psychology and Russian as an undergraduate at Grinnell College and obtained a MA in Philosophy of Psychology from King’s. She earned her Ph.D. in Philosophy from Florida State University, focusing on conceptual and scientific threats to (compatibilist) accounts of free will. Before coming to King’s, she was a Visiting Faculty Member at the University of Alabama. Her primary research interests lie in philosophy of mind and psychology, metaphysics, and bioethics. Dr Waller joined King’s as a Lecturer in 2015.
Research interests and PhD supervision
- Philosophy of Psychology
- Philosophy of Mind
- Action Theory
- Bioethics (esp. Neuroethics and Biomedical Ethics)
Dr Waller is particularly interested in issues concerning practical reasoning, agency, consciousness, and free will. She is active in interdisciplinary ethics, especially neuroethics and biomedical ethics. She is currently exploring the connection between manipulation and free agency, the role of emotion in cognition, and the ethics of cognitive enhancement.
- “Forking Worlds and Freedom: A Challenge to Libertarian Accounts of Free Will,” with Russell L. Waller (forthcoming), Philosophia.
- “Causation, Norms, and Omissions: A Study of Causal Judgments,” with Randolph Clarke, Joshua Shepherd, John Stigall, and Chris Zarpentine (2015). Philosophical Psychology 28(2): 279-293.
- “The Threat of Effective Intentions to Moral Responsibility in the Zygote Argument,” (2014). Philosophia 42: 209-222.
- “Beyond Button Presses: The Neuroscience of Free and Morally Appraisable Actions,” (2012). The Monist 95(3): 441-462.
- “Informed Consent: Good Medicine, Dangerous Side Effects,” with Bruce N. Waller (2008). Cambridge Quarterly of Health Care Ethics 17: 66-74.
For a complete list of publications, see Dr Waller’s full research profile.
Expertise and public engagement
Dr Waller has previously taught on the following modules
- 6AANA024 Philosophy of Psychology
- 4AANA004 Metaphysics I
- 7AAN2066 Philosophy of Psychology I
In the past Dr. Waller has also taught modules on Ethics, Philosophy of Mind, and Free Will and Responsibility, among other topics.