Dr Tony Milligan
Teaching Fellow in Ethics and the Philosophy of Religion
Tel +44(0)20 7848 2510
Address: Department of Theology & Religious Studies
King's College London
Room 3.42, Virginia Woolf Building,
LONDON, WC2B 6LE
Research interests and PhD supervision
Tony Milligan studied philosophy at the University of Stirling before completing a PhD on ‘Iris Murdoch’s Romantic Platonism’ at the University of Glasgow. He then went on to two spells as a Teaching Fellow with the Philosophy Department at the University of Aberdeen, interrupted by a term as a Lecturer at the University of Hull, before taking up two successive one year Lectureships with the Philosophy Department at the University of Hertfordshire. Tony is involved in series of networks on Love and the Philosophy of Love, and is on the editorial board of the journal Politics and Animals, based out of the University of Lund.
- Love/the Philosophy of Love
- Religion and Emotion
- Simone Weil and Iris Murdoch
- Conceptions of Virtue
- Religion and Political Activism
Tony’s areas of expertise relate especially to love, its connection to virtue, religious experience and, more broadly, to the emotions. His research also takes in a number of areas of applied ethics and religiously informed political activism (Gandhian pacifism, Green spirituality, the standing of animals and civil disobedience conducted in the light of religious commitment.)
He is happy to discuss research proposals in these areas.
For more details, please see my full research profile.
Tony teaches on these modules:
- 4AAT1601 Introduction to the Philosophy of Religion
- 4AAT1501 Thinking about Evil
- 5AAT2501 Applied Ethics
- 6AAT3044 Special Questions in Social Ethics
And, additionally, co-ordinates the undergraduate dissertation module:
- 6AAT5000 Independent Study Project (Dissertation)
Expertise and public engagement
- Animal Ethics: the Basics (London and New York: Routledge, 2015).
- With Christian Maurer and Kamila Pacovska, Love and its Objects, (Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan, 2014).
- Civil Disobedience: Protest, Justification and the Law (Bloomsbury, 2013)
- Love (London and New York: Routledge, 2011)
- Beyond Animal Rights (London and New York: Continuum, 2010).
For a complete list of publications, please see my full research profile.
Tony has an interest in the ethical dimensions of space exploration and is available for podcasts and media interviews on this subject.
- Interview about space ethics for Space Boffins podcast, 15/07/2015.
- Interview about space ethics for Voices from L5 podcast, 30/04/2015.
- Interview about space ethics on The Space Show podcast, 30/03/2015.
- Interview about Mars One project on BBC Radio Ulster, 22/03/2015.
- Interview about neighbourliness, The Sunday Post, 31/05/2015.