Dr Susannah Ticciati
Reader in Systematic Theology
Tel +44 (0)20 7848 1258
Address: Dept of Theology & Religious Studies
King's College London
Room 3.15, Virginia Woolf Building,
LONDON, WC2B 6LE
Susannah Ticciati joined the Department as Lecturer in Systematic Theology in 2005. As an undergraduate at Peterhouse, Cambridge, she read Mathematics for Part 1 and Theology and Religious Studies for Part 2. Her PhD, completed in 2003, was on the Book of Job, with special reference to Karl Barth’s interpretation. Part of her PhD was spent at the University of Göttingen, Germany. After her PhD she spent a further year there, and returned to Cambridge in 2004 for a year as a Research Fellow at Selwyn College.
- Theological interpretation of the Bible, especially the Book of Job and the letters of Paul
- Apophatic Theology
- The theologies of Karl Barth and Augustine
Susannah Ticciati’s research is in the area of Christian doctrine, with a particular interest in biblical interpretation. Her PhD was on the book of Job, bringing Karl Barth's theological interpretation into engagement with historical-critical, literary and psycho-philosophical approaches. Her present project is the development of a contemporary apophatic theology which draws on the late predestinarian works of Augustine in dialogue with recent philosophies of language. In the longer term she plans to engage theologically with the letters of Paul, bearing in mind the question of how Paul’s writings relate to anti-Judaism within subsequent Christian tradition. Her reading of scriptural texts is fostered by her participation in Scriptural Reasoning, a practice in which Jews, Christians and Muslims read their Scriptures together.
Susannah welcomes enquiries from prospective research students, who would like to work with her on projects relating to her research interests.
For more details, please see her full research profile.
- A New Apophaticism: Augustine and the Redemption of Signs. Ticciati, S. 2013 Brill. (Studies in Systematic Theology).
- Job and the Disruption of Identity: reading beyond Barth. Ticciati, S. 2005 London, New York: T. & T. Clark Publishers Ltd.
- The Nondivisive Difference of Election: A Reading of Romans 9-11. Ticciati, S. 2012 In : Journal of Theological Interpretation. 6, 2, p. 257-278
- Reading Augustine Through Job: A Reparative Reading of Augustine’s Doctrine of Predestination. Ticciati, S. Jul 2011 In : MODERN THEOLOGY. 27, 3, p. 414-441
For a complete list of publications, please see Susannah's full research profile
- 4AAT1014 'Systematic Theology: Nature & Method'
- 5AAT2006 'Introduction to the Doctrine of the Person of Christ'
- 6AAT3045 'Principles of Systematic Theology'
- 7AATC421 'Interpreting the Bible'