Principal's Global Leadership Award
The Principal’s Global Leadership Award (PGLA) ran for the first time in January-March 2016 and was a great success. The PGLA will run again in January-March 2017. All second year undergraduates at King’s College London are eligible to apply.
The Award aims to develop distinctive leadership skills in service to society, in a global context. Twenty students will be admitted for the Award in January 2017. The Award includes a fully-funded group workshop at a conference venue over one week-end, enabling intensive study and group work.
The Principal’s Global Leadership Award equates to 75 hrs learning, comprising 4 face-to-face sessions of 2hrs each, a residential week-end at Cumberland Lodge, Great Windsor Park, individual study and reflection, and the assessment. Please note that attendance at all the sessions and the study week-end is mandatory.
Check out our blog post about PGLA 2016 prize-winner Ahmed Kerwan.
Principal's Global Leadership Award learning outcomes
Teaching on the award will centre on a series of high-profile speakers, including:
- Prof Ed Byrne, King’s Principal;
- Deborah Bull (Assistant Principal);
- Prof Funmi Olonisakin (Director of the African Leadership Centre) and
- Dr Dan Poulter (MP).
Additional tutors will teach at the residential week-end. The tutors will facilitate sessions on different aspects of leadership.
PGLA schedule for 2016-17
Upon successful completion of the Award, students should be able to –
- Demonstrate knowledge and critical understanding of leadership theory and practice.
- Demonstrate knowledge and critical understanding of leadership within an ethical framework.
- Analyse different aspects of leadership.
- Apply leadership skills in individual and group tasks.
- Present a leadership strategy in relation to a specific global issue, proposing solutions to problems.
Applications close at 23:59hrs on Monday 7th November.
- Seminar 1, 25/01/17, p.m. (2hrs, 13:00-15:00hrs). Facilitator: Prof Ed Byrne.
- Seminar 2, 08/02/17, p.m. (2hrs, 13:00-15:00hrs). Facilitator: Prof Funmi Olonisakin.
- Study week-end, 24/02/17-26/02/17.
- Seminar 3, 08/03/17, p.m. (2hrs, 13:00-15:00hrs). Facilitator: Deborah Bull.
- Seminar 4, 22/03/17, p.m. (2hrs, 13:00-15:00hrs). Facilitator: Dr Dan Poulter (MP).
Assignment submission date: Monday 8th May 2017, 23:59hrs.
Applications have now C L O S E D for 2016-17
Assessment takes the form of an online reflective portfolio, which you compile throughout the module. You write up brief reflections (c.200 words) in response to a specific question after each of the classes, with more extended reflections (c.750-1,000 words) at the end of the residential week-end, and after the final class.
Successful completers of the Principal’s Global Leadership Award will have the Award featured on their Higher Education Achievement Record.
In exceptional circumstances an extension for the assessment can be requested. In order to be considered for this, please email email@example.com with a clear rationale for the extension.
Applications have now C L O S E D for 2016-17.
All applicants will be notified by the end of December 2016.
If you have any further questions please email the module convenor, Michael Flavin firstname.lastname@example.org.