About King's Careers & Employability
King’s Careers & Employability enables students and alumni to develop effective career management skills and build a platform for lifelong career success.
We support the College in the development of high quality, impartial employability support to students, alumni and research staff across all faculties and disciplines. Our services include careers guidance and application appointments, practice interviews, an online vacancy board, numerous careers events and bespoke internship programmes as well as a host of information and resources.
Booking an appointment
All our appointments are booked online via King's CareerConnect and open at 07:00 on the day only.
Visit here to see available appointments (opens King's CareerConnect - the first time you login you will initially set your profile preferences before being able to book appointments and events).
We offer three different appointment types - Careers Guidance appointments and Application Advice appointments, each running for 20 minutes, and Practice interviews, running for 60 minutes.
- Application Advice appointments are with an Applications Adviser and will provide feedback on CVs, cover letters or job applications which you have prepared in advance. Please bring a hard copy of the document you wish to have reviewed.
- Careers Guidance appointments are with a Careers Consultant and are often used as a general starting point to discuss a range of issues, including:
- Making decisions about life after King’s College London, e.g. choosing between work, further study or perhaps starting your own business.
- Exploring options related to your degree area, or a career change.
- How to gain relevant skills or work experience linked to longer term career goals while at King’s.
- How to market your degree, skills and/or experience to employers.
- What to expect at interviews or assessment centres and how to prepare
- Practice interviews allow you to discuss interviews in more depth, including the chance to receive feedback and tips on your interview performance. These are available by appointment only and need to be booked 24 hours in advance. You must have an actual interview arranged before you can book one of these sessions. Your session will be automatically cancelled if you do not.
- If you're a PhD student or a member of research staff, then please see the PhD students and research staff page.
To get the most out of your one-to-one, bear the following in mind:
- Consider any questions you would like to explore beforehand and begin by doing some preparatory research on any career ideas that you have.
- If there are lots of areas you want to discuss then put these in order of priority and we will get through as much as we can in the session as we may not be able to cover everything in the session.
- If we know the answer, we will tell you. If we don't know we will point you towards resources that might help. If we don't know of any resources, we will discuss with you how you might go about finding some. A consultant will not tell you what to do, but can provide information and resources to help you explore your options and make decisions. If we can’t answer any specific questions you have, we will discuss with you how you might go about finding the answers to support your development.
- We will also ask you some questions during the session. These questions may help you to reflect on your current development, and will provide us with the information we need in order to support you.
- Students often use the first appointment to kick-start their career thinking and then return to us a few weeks/months later as their plans progress.
Policies and procedures
King's Careers & Employability is a member of the Association of Graduate Careers Advisory Services (AGCAS) and follows their codes of practice (pdf).
For policies applying to King's College London, please visit the Governance Zone
The Careers Group
King’s Careers & Employability is part of The Careers Group, the largest higher education service in the UK so our students and alumni have access to the broader services and expertise they provide.
We are accredited to Matrix quality standards for delivery of information, advice and guidance through our membership of The Careers Group.