Show/hide main menu

Personal Tutors

Personal tutor guide for students

All Undergraduate and Postgraduate taught students are allocated a Personal Tutor from within their Department or Faculty. Postgraduate Research students will have a research supervisor.

Here at King's all taught students must have a personal tutor, someone who gets to know them as an individual and supports them academically as they progress. Personal tutoring is the cornerstone of our support for students" Professor Karen O’Brien, Vice-Principal (Education)

A personal tutor is an academic member of staff who will take an active interest in a student's academic progress and university experience, and is concerned for a student's general welfare.

All students will also be able to contact a Senior Tutor in their department or the university Senior Tutor. To explore how these academic members of staff will support you, please browse these sections to your left.


Your first few weeks

Within the first few weeks of starting at King’s you should meet with your Personal Tutor. At this initial meeting they will tell you about the role of the personal tutor and give you information about how you can make contact with him or her if you need to.

Our advice is to get to know your personal tutor; the system works best for you if you maintain good communications with him or her.

Your learning and living experience

Your personal tutor should be the first person at the university that you speak to if you are having any personal difficulties that are affecting your work. These could be academic, financial, health-related or another type of problem.

Your personal tutor will listen and try to help you although you’ll need to remember that, your personal tutor is not super human and may not always be able to solve your problem. If he or she can’t help you directly they will know who to refer you to.

Remember whatever the nature of your problem, please do discuss it with someone, your personal tutor or otherwise. The earlier that any issue is identified the more likely it is that it can be resolved.

You can talk to your personal tutor about your learning needs and he or she can offer advice or recommend that you enrol on a study skills course. Your main support for academic issues relating to specific modules will be the lecturer who is teaching that module.

Your tutor will be the person who, if the university is asked, will write a reference for you.

Sitemap Site help Terms and conditions Accessibility Recruitment News Centre Contact us

© 2015 King's College London | Strand | London WC2R 2LS | England | United Kingdom | Tel +44 (0)20 7836 5454