At the Maudsley
The Institute of Psychiatry (IoP) enjoys a long history with the Maudsley Hospital, part of South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust (SLaM).
In 1908, the eminent psychiatrist Henry Maudsley wrote to the London County Council (LCC) offering £30,000 towards the costs of establishing a "fitly equipped hospital for mental diseases". His vision was for an urban centre for early-onset treatment, both inpatient and outpatient - a hospital rather than an asylum - and for university psychiatric teaching and research.
The Maudsley initially opened as a military hospital in 1915 to treat cases of shell shock and became a psychiatric hospital for the people of London in 1923.
The Maudsley Hospital Medical School was established in 1924 and became a well respected teaching centre.
In 1932, Professor Edward Mapother, the first medical superintendent, described the Maudsley as "the main postgraduate school of mental medicine in England."
This medical school later became the Institute of Psychiatry, now part of King's College London, and one of the world’s largest post-graduate centres for research and teaching in psychiatry and allied disciplines.
Throughout the 20th Century, the Maudsley pioneered the development of new treatments. Breakthroughs included the introduction of clinical neuroscience in the 1950s which was partly led by Denis Hill, a senior lecturer at the Maudsley and the IoP, and the use of group talking therapies.
Today, the IoP continues its world class clinical research and education partnership with the Maudsley and SLaM.