8th IoPPN summer school 4 - 8 July 2016
Registration is now closed
The Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology & Neuroscience (IoPPN) offers a free, one-week summer school in the heart of South London. It aims to inspire and enthuse those considering a career in psychiatry, and provide an insight into the innovative, exciting and rewarding field of clinical and academic psychiatry.
Application deadline: 24 March 2016 (5PM - GMT)
Who is it for?
The IoPPN summer school is open to high-achieving, dedicated and motivated medical students and Foundation Year doctors. There is particular focus on days 3, 4 and 5 for Foundation Year doctors who have limited study leave provision.
What does the summer school offer?
- Key lectures, seminars and debates on cutting-edge and controversial topics in psychiatry with leading academics and clinicians in the field working at the IoPPN, South London and the Maudsley NHS Trust (SLaM), and the Royal College of Psychiatrists (RCPsych).
- Opportunities to meet and network with internationally renowned researchers and clinicians, including Professor Sir Simon Wessely (President of RCPsych) and Professor Sir Robin Murray (Professor of Psychiatric Research, IoPPN).
- Patient and carer accounts, ward visits, speed-dating and book club. Interactive workshops giving advice and guidance towards core training (CT1) and academic training application processes, interview skills and ‘a day in the life of a CT1 in psychiatry’
- Drinks and canapé reception at the RCPsych.
- Accommodation and meals: The IoPPN summer school offers the unparalleled opportunity to stay with a psychiatrist in their home, if required. Refreshments and lunch are provided throughout the week.
What our participants said:
'Wonderful experience, suddenly so passionate about psych!'
'Fascinating and engaging week, with good networking opportunities.'
'Amazing experience - really immersed us into the experience of psychiatry.'
I'm undertaking a non medical degree - can I apply?
As places are limited and demand is high we are only able to accept those undertaking medical degrees.
I'm considering retraining in psychiatry - can I apply?
Doctors from other specialties considering retraining are welcome to apply, and we hope that it would prove a useful week for helping to weigh up the pros and cons of the switch.
I'm a doctor with a special interest in psychiatry - is the summer school suitable?
This Summer School is specifically for medical students and junior doctors who are weighing up whether to apply for psychiatry training. The focus therefore is to show the range of the specialty and understanding of what life as a psychiatrist is like, so as to enable them to make an informed decision about their future. Our aim is not to teach more psychiatry itself, and so it would not be an appropriate way to explore your special interest.
Will there be WiFi?
We're afraid wifi is not available.
Do you provide a certificate of attendance?
Certificates are distributed on the last day of the course.