King's College London
Liddell Hart Centre for Military Archives
Palestine and Israel
The following guide is designed as an introduction to the Centre's holdings on Palestine
and Israel. For further detailed information on collections please consult our List of collections for links to
summary guides and detailed catalogues.
- ALLENBY, FM Edmund (Henry Hynman), 1st Viscount Allenby of
Megiddo and of Felixstowe (1861-1936)
- Papers relating to Palestine and Egypt, 1917-1925 (ref: Allenby 2/1-5), including
official correspondence and telegrams relating to operations in Palestine, 1917-1918;
press cuttings concerning the Palestine campaign, 1917-1918 (ref: Allenby 4/2-3);
photograph album of Palestine, 1919-1925 (ref: Allenby 5/6); photographs taken during
the second battle of Gaza, Apr 1917, and photographs showing the methods and results of
bombing operations by the Palestine Bde, RAF, Sep 1918 (ref: Allenby 5/15).
Brig Sir Richard (1908-1985)
- Brief account of his life and career, 1908-1947, including details of his service in
- BARTHOLOMEW, Gen Sir William Henry (1877-1962)
- Papers relating to operations of 20 Corps in Palestine, 1917-1918, including the
third battle of Gaza.
- BEDDINGTON, Brig Sir Edward Henry Lionel (1884-1966)
- Memoir of his life and career, 1884-1960, including details of service with 16
Lancers in Palestine, 1919-1920.
- BISHOP, Maj Gen Sir (William Henry) Alexander (1897-1984)
- Memoir of his life and career, 1897-1965, including details of service with the
Dorset Regt, Mesopotamia and Palestine, 1915-1918.
- BROOKE, FM Alan Francis, 1st Viscount Alanbrooke of
- Correspondence as Chief of the Imperial General Staff with
Gen Sir Henry Maitland Wilson, Commander-in-Chief, Middle East, Mar-Nov 1943,
including comment on the political situation in Palestine, the possibility of a Jewish
uprising in Palestine and the proposed employment of Palestinian-Jewish units outside
Palestine (ref: Alanbrooke 6/2/46).
- BROOKE-POPHAM, ACM Sir Henry Robert Moore (1878-1953)
- Correspondence as Air Officer Commanding-in-Chief, Middle East, concerning
Palestine, 1936 (ref: Brooke-Popham 2/7-9).
- CARR, Lt Gen Laurence (1886-1954)
- Letters home, 1936-1937, during his service as a brigade commander, Palestine,
including descriptions of Arab attacks and comment on the conduct of British operations.
- CHURCHER, Maj Gen John Bryan (1905-1997)
- Memoir of his life and career, 1905-1984, including service as Commander, 3 Div,
- CLARKE, Brig Frederick Arthur Stanley (1892-1972)
- Memoir of his life and career, including details of his service with 162 Bde, 54 Div,
at the first, second and third battles of Gaza, 1917, with comment on Gen Sir Edmund
Henry Hyman Allenby.
- DUNBAR, Maj Gen Charles Whish (1919-1981)
- Account of his service with 3 Parachute Bde, Palestine, 1945-1948.
- EVETTS, Lt Gen Sir John Fullerton (1891-1988)
- Reports on operations in Palestine and Transjordan by Lt Gen Robert Haddon
Haining, General Officer Commanding British Forces; negatives of photographs of
- ISMAY, Gen Hastings Lionel, 1st Baron Ismay of Wormington
- Essays by Ismay as a student, Staff College, Quetta, 1922, on the conduct of
operations in Palestine, 1917-1918 (ref: Ismay 3/2/107-109).
- JONES, Sgt John (fl 1916-1932)
- Memoir of his service with London Regt (Prince of Wales' Own Civil Service
Rifles), 1916-1918, including service in Palestine, 1917-1918.
- JOYCE, Lt Col Pierce Charles (1878-1965)
- Correspondence relating to meeting between Emir Feisal and Dr Chaim Weizmann,
4 Jun 1918 (ref: Joyce 1/O/1-20); reports of reconnaissance flights from Akaba, 1917-
1918 (ref: Joyce 1/L/1-34).
- KIRKE, Gen Sir Walter Mervyn St George (1877-1949)
- Lessons of the Great War Committee papers, 1922, including Brig Andrew Jameson
McCulloch's 'Report on Egypt and Palestine to June 1917' and Brig Richard Granville
Hylton Howard Vyse's 'Report on Palestine, 1917-1918' (ref: Kirke 10/6-7).
- LEES, Lt Aubrey Trevor Owen (1899-1969)
- Correspondence as Administrative Officer, Palestine, 1929-1938, including papers
relating to his suspension, 1938, following his criticism of the British military
government's attitude towards alleged Jewish atrocities, and his later arrest and detention
for alleged involvement with the British Union of Fascists (ref: Lees 5/1-13).
- LIDDELL HART, Capt Sir Basil Henry (1895-1970)
- Correspondence, 1934-1956, with Col Stewart Francis Newcombe, including copy of
Newcombe's pamphlet, 'The future of Palestine' (ref: LH 9/13/61); notes on conversations
on Palestine, 1937-1938, with FM Sir Cyril John Deverell, Gen Sir John Greer Dill, and
Lt Gen Robert Haddon Haining (ref: LH 11/1937/56, 11/1938/150 and 11/1938/37);
article, 'Strategic frontiers in Palestine' by Liddell Hart, in The Times, Apr 1938
(ref: LH 10/1938/31); notes and statistics, 1938, on air warfare in Palestine, World War I
(ref: LH 15/3/119); War Office press releases on the political situation in Palestine and
the role of British forces, 1939 (ref: LH 15/3/71-72); interviews given by Liddell Hart to
The Jewish Standard, The Jewish Chronicle, and Israel Today
relating to Israel and Israeli defence, 1949-1967 (ref: LH 2/1949/12-13, 12/1956/5,
12/1960/11-12, 12/1967/3); correspondence, 1953-1976, with Gen Prof Yigael Yadin,
former Israeli Chief of Staff (ref: LH 2/23/1-68); correspondence, 1958-1974, with Yuval
Neeman, Head of Israeli Atomic Energy Authority (ref: LH 2/18/1-60); lectures given by
Liddell Hart to the Staff and Command School, Israel, Mar 1960, on military tactics and
international defence (ref: LH 12/1960/3-10); correspondence, 1962, with Maj Gen Hugh
Richard Barry, on guerrilla tactics against heavily armed troops, with reference to Israel
(ref: LH 1/44/64); correspondence, 1965-1968, with Gen Yitzhak Rabin, Chief of Staff,
Israeli Defence Forces (LH 2/19/1-7); notes on operations in Palestine, World War I, by
FM Philip Walhouse Chetwode, 1st Baron Chetwode (nd, ref: LH 9/13/70);
correspondence, 1967, with FM Sir John Claude Eyre Auchinleck, relating to the Six Day
War (ref: LH 1/30/143-144); press cuttings, book reviews and articles on Palestine and
Israel, 1934-1970 (ref: LH 15/5/297-318).
- LINDSAY, Maj Gen George Mackintosh (1880-1956)
- Correspondence and notes from Royal Tank Corps officers, 1924, on the use of
wire-net roads, as deployed in Palestine, 1917-1918 (ref: LH 15/12/13).
- MAURICE, Maj Gen Sir Frederick (Barton) (1871-1951)
- Letter from Maj Gen Sir Arthur Lynden-Bell, Chief of General Staff, 3 Army,
Egyptian Expeditionary Force, relating to the command of operations in Palestine, Jun
1917 (ref: Maurice 3/5/44); letter from Sir Edward Henry Carson relating to publicity for
the campaign in Palestine, Nov 1917 (ref: Maurice 3/5/57).
- MENAUL, AVM Stewart William Blackner (1915-1987)
- Press cuttings, articles, press releases and maps relating to the Middle East,
1970-1986 (ref: Menaul 7/6), including material on Israel and Arab-Israeli conflict.
- MULLENS, Brig Guy John de Wette (1899-1981)
- Diaries and photographs relating to his service with 4/7 Dragoon Guards, Palestine,
- NELSON, Maj Gen Sir (Eustace) John (Blois) (1912-1993)
- Memoir of his life and career, 1916-1968, including details of his service with 1
Guards Parachute Bn, Palestine, 1946-1948.
- THE NUCLEAR AGE television documentary series
on the history of nuclear weaponry and strategy
- Interviews and transcripts of interviews with: Yuval Neeman, Scientific Director,
Atomic Energy Commission Israel, 1961-1963; Mattitiahu Peled, Chief of Logistics,
Israeli Army General Staff, 1964-1968; Yitzak Rabin, Prime Minister of Israel,
1974-1977 and 1992-1995.
- O'CONNOR, Gen Sir Richard (1889-1981)
- Official correspondence as Commander, 7 Div and Military Governor of Jerusalem,
Sep 1938 - Aug 1939 (ref: O'Connor 3/1-4), including telegrams from the War Office,
1938, concerning appointments in Palestine; letters home, 1938; correspondence, Oct
1938 - Jul 1939, with Lt Gen Richard Haddon Haining, General Officer Commanding
British Troops in Palestine and Transjordan; correspondence with the Civil Government,
Jerusalem, Oct 1938 - Jul 1939; semi-official correspondence, Nov 1938 - Aug 1939,
relating to British peace-keeping operations.
- PITT, Barrie (b 1918)
- Press cuttings and maps relating to the Six Day War, 1967.
- PURDON, Maj Gen Corran William Brooke (b 1921)
- List the bugle: reminiscences of an Irish soldier (Greystone, Antrim, 1993),
a memoir of his life and career, 1921-1976, including details of his service with 1 Bn,
Royal Ulster Rifles, Palestine, 1945-1946.
- PYMAN, Gen Sir Harold English (1908-1971)
- Diaries kept as Chief of Staff to Gen Sir Miles Christopher Dempsey, Middle East
Land Forces, Dec 1946 - Jul 1949 (ref: Pyman 6/1/1-29); correspondence with Dempsey,
1946-1948, including comment on events in Palestine, 1947-1948 (ref: Pyman 6/6/1-13).
- ROBERTSON, FM Sir William (Robert), 1st Bt (1860-1933)
- Papers by Robertson on present and future operations in Palestine, Apr-Dec 1917,
prepared for the War Cabinet (ref: Robertson 1/16/5-9); telegrams between Robertson
and Gen Sir Edmund Henry Hyman Allenby, Nov 1917 (ref: Robertson 1/14/99, 100,
109, 111-113); letters from Allenby, Nov 1917 - Feb 1918 (ref: Robertson 1/21/74, 84,
- SHEA, Gen Sir John Stuart Mackenzie (1869-1966)
- Correspondence, notes and accounts relating to operations in Palestine, 1917-1918
(ref: Shea 4/1-15), including notes on the composition of British and Turkish forces at
Beersheba, Gaza and Jerusalem, 1917-1918; letters from Gen Sir Edmund Henry Hyman
Allenby and Gen Philip Walhouse Chetwode, 1917-1918, relating to Palestine operations;
photographs of Palestine, including aerial photographs of Jerusalem, 1910-1920.
- SIMPSON-BAIKIE, Brig Sir Hugh Archie Dundas (1871-1924)
- Letters home from his service with Royal Artillery, Palestine, 1917-1918.
- STEVENSON, Col Robert Colin Russell (1896-1983)
- Papers and photographs relating to the evacuation of Royal Engineers'
establishments, Palestine, 1948.
- STOCKWELL, Gen Sir Hugh Charles (1903-1986)
- Briefing notes, operations orders, reports, notes, memoranda and photographs
relating to his command of 6 Airborne Div, Palestine, 1947-1948 (ref: Stockwell 6/1-42).
- STONE, Brig John Southam Wycherly (1895-1963)
- Memoirs of his career, 1939-1955, including details of his service with Royal
Engineers, Palestine, 1939.
- STREET, Maj Gen Vivian Wakefield (1912-1970)
- Diary, letters home, photographs and copy press cuttings relating to his service as
Intelligence Officer, 14 Infantry Bde, Palestine, 1938-1939.
- WHEELER, Maj Gen (Thomas) Norman (Samuel) (1915-1990)
- Army pamphlet, 'Notes on tactical lessons of the Palestine rebellion, 1936 (Security
B272)', compiled from extracts from General Officer Commanding 5 Div's report on
operations in Palestine in 1936, issued by the War Office, 1937.
- WINGATE, Maj Gen Orde Charles (1903-1944)
- Copies of papers by Wingate, Palestine, 1938, on the development, training and use
of Special Night Squads (ref: LH 15/5/300); press cuttings, articles and book reviews,
1943-1969, relating to his career (ref: LH 15/4/486).
- WINTRINGHAM, Capt Thomas
Capt Thomas Henry (1898-1949)
- Paper outlining proposals for a volunteer force for peace-keeping in Palestine, Feb