King's College London
Liddell Hart Centre for Military Archives
Note: The item numbers represent a subset from ISAD(G)
rules (General International Standard Archival Description) promulgated
by the International Council on Archives to standardise archival
description world-wide. Only item numbers relevant to our specific
archive are included here.
- 3.1 IDENTITY STATEMENT
- 3.1.1 Reference code: GB99 KCLMA Douglas-Home
- 3.1.2 Title: DOUGLAS-HOME, Charles Cospatrick (1937-1985)
- 3.1.3 Dates of creation of material: 1942-1985
- 3.1.4 Level of description: collection level
- 3.1.5 Extent: 9 boxes or 0.09m3
- 3.2 CONTEXT
- 3.2.2 Biographical history: in 1937; educated at Eton; commissioned into the Royal Scots Greys, 1956; ADC to Sir Evelyn Baring as Governor of Kenya, 1958-1959; military correspondent, 1961-1962 and political and diplomatic correspondent, 1962-1964 for the Daily Express; correspondent for The Times, 1965-1985; defence correspondent, 1965-1970; publication of The Arabs and Israel (1968) and Britain's Reserve Forces (1969); features editor, 1970-1973; publication of Rommel (1973); home editor, 1973-1978; publication of Evelyn Baring the last Proconsul (1978); foreign editor, 1978-1981; deputy editor, 1981-1982; editor, 1982-1985; died in 1985.
- 3.2.5 Provenance/source of acquisition: Presented to the Centre by the family in 1988.
- 3.3 CONTENT AND STRUCTURE
- 3.3.1 Scope and content: Papers relating to writings, broadcasts and lectures, 1969-1985, including typescripts for Evelyn Baring the last Proconsul, incorporating copy source material from 1942 and correspondence with publishers; newspaper articles, 1971-1985; and memoirs of boyhood and schooldays. Papers relating to conferences and travels, 1965-1982, including typescript and manuscript accounts of visits to South Africa, Swaziland, Rhodesia and Kenya in 1976, Iran in 1978, China, Hong Kong and India, 1979 and Brazil and Chile, 1980; and diary of travels, 1976-1980. Personal papers, including invitations and correspondence, 1970-1985.
- 3.3.4 Arrangement: Arranged in sections as above.
- 3.4 CONDITIONS OF ACCESS AND USE
- 3.4.2 Access: Open, subject to signature of reader's undertaking form.
- 3.4.3 Copyright: Copies, subject to the condition of the original, may be supplied for research use
only. Requests to publish original material should be submitted to the Trustees of the Liddell Hart Centre for
Military Archives, attention of the College Archivist.
- 3.4.4 Language: English
- 3.4.6 Finding aids: Detailed catalogue available in hard copy in the Centre's reading room.
- 3.6 NOTE AREA
- 3.6.1 Date of compilation: Jun 1996