About Library Services
Library Services is a key division within the Students and Education Directorate, supporting the university's teaching, learning, research and administrative activity. Led by the Director, Robert Hall, Library Services has five departments: Customer Engagement, Collections & Research Support,Learning & Skills, Business Operations & Space and Systems & Service Management.
Library Services are located across the five main campuses offering subject-specific resources with help and advice from qualified staff. Library Services also offers a portfolio of services to an extensive network of affiliated organisations including NHS staff from three internationally renowned teaching hospitals: King’s College Hospital, Guy’s and St. Thomas', and South London and Maudsley.
Collections & Research Support
Partnership & Liaison
The Customer Services team provides a sector leading, in depth enquiry service and ensures that the availability of physical library materials is maximised. Customer Services staff are available to assist at library enquiry desks, via telephone, email, online chat, and out and about in libraries. Team members endeavour to answer as many enquiries as possible at the point of need, and also make appropriate referrals for further support. We assist with the following:
- Use of libraries, collections, services and equipment.
- General use of IT equipment and some software.
- Circulation, availability and accessibility of library materials.
- Repair of library materials.
- Monitoring and arranging maintenance of the library environment.
The Partnership & Liaison team focus on building relationships between Library Services and the Faculties and ensuring that staff and students are fully supported by our resources and our Library staff. The team members are called Library Liaison Managers and you will have a named point of contact for your Faculty (see information below).
We can help with the following:
- Liaison between staff and students and Library Services.
- Development of print and electronic library collections.
- Outreach and promotion of Library Services to our users.
Learning & Skills
The Collections & Research Support (CaRS) Department develops and manages Library, Archive and Special Collections at King’s by acquiring, cataloguing and preserving information materials in many different formats. The Department also provides support on scholarly communication issues including copyright, open access and research data management, and engages the community with collections through a variety of outreach activities.There are four teams in CaRS:
- Archives Services
- Collection Development
- Research Support
- Special Collections.
Business Operations & Space
Learning & Skills empowers students, staff and other learners to succeed in the tasks that are foundational to their learning, teaching and research activities. Through interactive online learning resources and face-to-face workshops and clinics, the team partners with each learner to grow their academic skills and digital literacy.
- By working across three skills areas (Information Skills, IT Skills and Study Skills), Learning & Skills encourages learners to:
- Enhance their abilities in finding, evaluating and using information.
- Expand their digital capabilities and use of technology.
- Strengthen their capacity to become strategic thinkers.
- Enrich all the skills they need to excel at and beyond university.
Learning & Skills is also the home of the King’s Experience team, who support experiential learning here at King’s, administering awards, funding and organising ceremonies.
Systems & Service Management
Business Operations & Space (BOS) provides a centralised support service for business administration, space management and marketing & communications, facilitating cohesive and efficient business practices across Library Services.
- People Management
- Space & Facilities Management
- Business Administration
- Business Intelligence
- Business Continuity
- Supplier Management
- Marketing & Communications.
Systems & Service Management empowers Library Services to deliver a world-class student and staff experience by facilitating continuous improvement, ensuring optimum utilisation of technology and enabling consistent management of all services.
We do this by providing leadership in:
- Organisational Development: ensuring a planned and systematic approach to enabling sustained performance through the engagement of our people and the development of a one library service culture
- Business Planning: ensuring effective development and co-ordination of the activities that set priorities, focus energy and align resources with mission, vision and strategy
- Service Management: ensuring clarity, accountability, consistency and improvement for the management and delivery of all services
- Library Systems & Technology: ensuring library systems and technologies are fit for purpose for staff and service users, and developed in line with agreed policies and frameworks
- Information Management: ensuring effective management of all Library Services documentation in line with agreed policies and frameworks
- Identity & Access Management: ensuring effective access for the right service users to the right systems and resources at the right time