Access and opening hours
King’s College London Archives welcomes all King’s students and staff, and members of the public, to use our collections. See below for our location details.
Monday – Friday, 9.30 - 17.30
The Archives are closed on public holidays and over the Christmas and New Year period. We also close for one week’s stocktaking in early September. Occasionally, the Archives Reading Room is closed for visits and seminars.
Forthcoming Archive Reading Room closures
||all day - Bank holiday
|Monday 11 Sep - Friday 15 Sep Closed week
|Thursday 21 Dec 3.00pm - 8 Jan 2018 Christmas closure & stocktaking
King's students and staff
King’s students and staff must present their King’s identification card and fill in a Reader Registration form on their first visit.
All external users must present two forms of identification, one photographic and one proof of address, on their first visit and fill in a Reader Registration form.
To help you make the most of your visit, please contact us to make an appointment at least one working day in advance, either by telephone, email, or in writing. By consulting our online Archives catalogues before your visit and giving us full details of the material you would like to see, we can have it ready for you on arrival.
Document ordering times are 11.00, 14.00 and 16.00 hours. Requests for the following morning should be made by 16.00 hours. Orders for Monday morning should be made by 16.00 hours on Friday.
Readers with disabilities
- Access to the Strand Building for people with disabilities
- The reading room is wheelchair accessible and there is lift access to the floor on which the Reading Room is situated
- A Topaz XL document magnifier is available for visually impaired readers
- The use of tape recorders for taking notes may be permitted at the discretion of the staff and with the agreement of other readers present
- Accessible toilets are available on the ground and third floors of the Strand building
The Archives Reading Room is room S3.02 on the third floor of the Strand Building (marked Archives on the map below).
The nearest London Underground stations are Temple (5 mins walk), Holborn (10 mins walk), Charing Cross (10 mins walk), Embankment (10 mins walk), and many bus routes stop directly outside the building.
Please see the Transport for London website for more details.