Dr David Morris
My current work involves all aspects of statistical analysis of genetic data arising from Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (SLE) studies.
More specifically I often spend my time on the following: Genetic association studies, SNP Imputation, HLA Imputation, Copy Number Variation Analysis, Bayesian modelling/inference, MCMC, Model choice, Mixture modelling, Variable selection, Empirical Bayes, Hierarchical modelling, Dimension reduction techniques, Regression, Multiple testing, programming in Matlab, R and C.
My current projects include a European meta-analysis of the MHC in SLE, an HLA impuation in African-Americans, a sub-phenotype analysis in SLE and the largest ever GWAS on SLE (4,254 Cases and 8,578 controls typed on the Illumina omni-quad chip).
I also have some interesting experience in multistate capture-recapture methods applied to a brown Trout population in Normandy, France.
I am currently lecturing on association studies in the BSc in Complex Disease Genetics and the MSc in Genetic Data Analysis in Medicine.
- Boteva L, Morris DL, Hernandez-Cortes J, Martin J, Vyse TJ, Fernando MMA (2012). Genetically determined partial complement C4 deficiency states are not independent risk factors for SLE in United Kingdom and Spanish populations. The American Journal of Human Genetics (In Press)
- Fernando MMA, Freudenberg J, Lee JA, Morris DL, Boteva L, Rhodes B, Gonzalez-Escribano MF, Lopez-Nevot MA, Navarra SV, Gregersen PK, Martin J, IMAGEN, Vyse TJ. (2012). Trans-ancestral Mapping of the MHC region in SLE Identifies New Independent and Interacting Loci at MSH5, HLA-DPB1 and HLA-G. Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases doi:10.1136/annrheumdis-2011-200808
- Cunninghame Graham DS, Morris DL, Bhangale TR, Criswell LA, Syvӓnen A-C, Lars Rönnblom LR, Behrens TW, Graham RR, Vyse TJ. (2011). Association of NCF2, IKZF1, IRF8, IFIH1, and TYK2 with Systemic Lupus Erythematosus. PLoS Genet 7(10): e1002341.doi:10.1371/journal.pgen.1002341
- Valdes AM, Styrkarsdottir U, Doherty M, Morris DL, Mangino M, Tamm A, Doherty SA, Kisand K, Kerna I, Tamm A, Wheeler M, Maciewicz RA, Zhang W, Muir KR, Dennison EM, Hart DJ, Metrustry S, Jonsdottir I, Jonsson GF, Jonsson H, Ingvarsson T, Cooper C, Vyse TJ, Spector TD, Stefansson K, Arden NK. (2011). Large Scale Replication Study of the Association between HLA Class II/BTNL2 Variants and Osteoarthritis of the Knee in European-Descent Populations. PLoS One 6(8) e23371.doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0023371
- Fernando MMA, de Smith AJ, Coin L, Morris DL, Froguel P, Mangion J, Blakemore AIF, Graham RR, Behrens TW, Vyse TJ. (2011). Investigation of the HIN200 Locus in UK SLE Families Identifies Novel Copy Number Variants. Annals of Human Genetics 75(3): 383-397.
- Guerra SG, Morris DL, Gateva V, Graham RR, Vyse TJ, Cunninghame Graham DS. (2011). Dense mapping of IL18 shows no association in SLE. Human Molecular Genetics 20(5): 1026-1033.
- Feehally J, Farrall M, Boland A, Gale DP, Gut I, Heath S, Kumar A, Peden JF, Maxwell PH, Morris DL, Padmanabhan S, Vyse TJ, Zawadska A, Rees AJ, Lathrop M, Ratcliffe PJ. (2010). HLA has strongest association with IgA nephropathy in genome-wide analysis. Journal of the American Society of Nephrology 21(10):1791-7.
- Fernando MMA, Boteva L, Morris DL, Zhou Bi, Wu YL, Lokki M-L, Yu CY, Rioux JD, Hollox EJ, Vyse TJ. (2010). Assessment of complement C4 gene copy number using the paralog ratio test. Human Mutation 31(7): 866-874
- Morris DL, Roberts AL, Witherden AS, Tarzi R, Barros P, Whittaker JC, Cook TH, Aitman TJ, Vyse TJ. (2010). Evidence for both copy number and allelic (NA1/NA2) risk at the FCGR3B locus in systemic lupus erythematosus. European Journal of Human Genetics 18(9): 1027-1031
- Rhodes B, Hunnangkul S, Morris DL, Hsaio L-C, Cunninghame Graham DS, Nitsch D, Whittaker JC, Vyse TJ. (2009). The heritability and genetics of complement C3 expression in UK SLE families. Genes and Immunity 10:525-530.
- Morris DL, Graham RR, Erwig LP, Gaffney PM, Moser KL, Behrens TW, Vyse TJ and Cunningham Graham DS. (2009). Variation in the upstream region of P-Selectin (SELP) is a risk factor for SLE. Genes and Immunity 10:404-413.
- Rhodes B, Morris DL, Subrahmanyan L, Aubin C, Mendes de Leon CF, Kelly JF, Evans DA, Whittaker JC, Oksenberg JR, De Jager PL and Vyse TJ. (2008). Fine-mapping the genetic basis of CRP regulation in African-Americans: a Bayesian approach. Hum Genet. 123(6):633-642.