The Centre for Defence Studies (CDS) engages in research at the highest level on British, European and international defence and security issues. CDS was established at King's College in 1990, with a grant from the UK Ministry of Defence but is now fully independent.
In addition to research our mission is to:
- Promote interdisciplinary approaches to security and defence policy research.
- Distribute research and expertise through formal academic channels.
- Work with UK and other governments and international organisations.
- Conduct corporate policy research in relevant areas.
- Maintain a high public profile by interacting with the media.
Our principal areas of research interest are:
- UK defence and security policy;
- European defence and security;
- Defence management and organisation;
- Defence industry and procurement;
- Regional security and new security challenges.
CDS operates in three distinct, but overlapping research areas: Academic, Public Policy and Corporate Consultancy. CDS has an international staff of academic policy researchers, practitioners, associates and visiting fellows.
Associated research programmes
CONTACTS FOR FURTHER INFORMATION
Dr John Gearson