The Centre for Public Mental Health addresses mental disorder in the community, patterns of help-seeking, and health system responses.
Head of Centre is Professor Martin Prince who is Professor of Epidemiological Psychiatry at the Institute of Psychiatry, and also the Director of International Mental Health at the IoP. He trained in Psychiatry at the Maudsley Hospital and in Epidemiology at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine.
The Centre has a strong international focus and brings the highest quality epidemiological methods and a public health perspective to bear on improving care for people with mental disorder. A combination of epidemiological and health service research methods are used to identify opportunities for primary and secondary prevention, from population through to primary care.
Research focuses upon:
- Relative impact of mental health conditions in order to inform appropriate policy prioritisation.
- Effectiveness of health systems - coverage, access, and barriers to care.
- Aetiology focusing particularly on modifiable risk factors.
In October 2009, Professor Prince and Professor Vikram Patel founded the Centre for Global Mental Health, which is a collaboration between the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine and King’s Health Partners Academic Health Sciences (KHP AHSC). KHP AHSC being a collaboration between King’s College London, the Institute of Psychiatry and three of London’s most successful NHS Foundation Trusts.
The new Centre aims to foster research and capacity building in policy, prevention, treatment and care of mental illness worldwide. Aiming to close the treatment gap for people living with mental disorders by increasing the coverage of cost-effective interventions.Research Sections
Within the Centre are the following research sections each with its own Principal Investigator:
- Epidemiology Head of Section: Dr Rob Stewart
- Primary Care Mental Health Head of Section: Professor Andre Tylee
- Social Psychiatry Head of Section: Dr Craig Morgan
- WHO Collaborating Centre for Research and Training in Mental Health and Section of Mental Health Policy Head of Section: Professor Rachel Jenkins.
Associated research programmes
CONTACTS FOR FURTHER INFORMATION