The work pursued under this topic includes the following project areas:
- Microbiology of endodontic disease, use of molecular and cultural techniques for the study of the etiology of apical periodontitis.
- Development of in-vitro, multi-species biofilm models to study endodontic disease and evaluate novel treatments to eradicate them.
- Development of novel diagnostic indicators for the real time detection of the bacterial content of the root canal with confocal fibre-optic micro-endoscopy. of the efficacy and efficiency of novel minimally invasive caries excavation technologies (including pioneering bio-active glass air-abrasion).
- Use of novel radiographic techniques (Cone Beam Computed Tomography) for the diagnosis of endodontic disease.
- Development of clinical trials on the outcome of endodontic treatment and on the survival of endodontically treated teeth. Analysis of endodontic instrumentation using micro CT and Synchrotron based micro-CT.
- Development of novel root canal obturation materials.
- Endodontic application of bioactive materials.
Associated research programmes
Associated staff research interests
Dentistry; oral health; endodontics; endodontology; microbiology; biofilm; disinfection; root canal therapy; pulp biology; dentine; NiTi; infection
Endodontology and restorative techniques; tooth restoration interfaces dental tissues and restorative materials.
Cariology & Endodontics
CONTACTS FOR FURTHER INFORMATION