Visiting Doctoral Students
If a student is currently registered for a doctoral degree at another university, and wishes to attend lectures and receive tuition, they may apply as a Visiting Research Student. Please follow the link to the Prospectus for more information. Please note we have limited space and will usually only accept visiting students on an exceptional basis.
Please note we are unable to provide assistance with any enquiries relating to visa arrangements. In the first instance please see UK Border Agency.
Preparing for your visit
In preparation for your stay at the Department please see the New to Kings webpages for information for new arrivals. This includes information on accommodation, schools and doctors.
During your stay you will be expected to attend Departmental events and participate fully in the teaching and research activities of the Department. For this reason, it is important that visitors be present during the entire term of their visit. While it is understood that there will be short absences for conferences and other commitments every now and then, the Department must be their primary and active intellectual base during the visit.
Whilst at the Department postgraduate research visitors could be asked to:
- Present your work at a Research Seminar open to the wider Kings community and general public (by prior agreement with the Head of Department)
- Work collaboratively with faculty to produce journal articles, research proposals, etc.
All postgraduate research visitors will
- Present your work within the Department at our fortnightly roundtable sessions. Work in progress is discussed with faculty and research students in an informal setting. All faculty, including visiting staff and students are expected to attend roundtable sessions regularly to benefit the entire Department research community.
- Attend and contribute to fortnightly reading groups within the Department. All faculty, including visiting staff and students are expected to attend reading group sessions regularly to benefit the entire Department research community.
- Produce a paper on your research for the upcoming Department Working Paper Series.
 Exceptions will apply to Visiting Professors, those from KCL’s International partner institutions or other strategic initiatives of the Faculty of Social Science & Public Policy. Bench fee vary annually; the fee at date of entry to the department will be applicable (which might not be the fee as quoted at time of application).