About War Studies
Welcome to the Department of War Studies- a global centre of excellence
The Department of War Studies marked its 50th anniversary in 2012. Formally King’s College established the department in February 1962, with the first intake of students in September that year.
The War Studies Group -comprising the departments of War Studies and Defence Studies-contributes to public life, participates in national and international networks, maintaining its international reputation for excellence in scholarship and policy-relevant research.
What makes our department unique?
- The only academic department in the world to focus solely on the complexities of conflict and security.
- Students are taught by experts and pioneers in their fields who are at the forefront of world events as they happen.
- Stellar academic cohort bring an extensive and continually growing network of national and international links around the world for students to take advantage of.
- Extensive range of events throughout the year hosting world leading speakers.
- Established relationships and links with major London institutions, eg Chatham House, IISS, RUSI, Janes Defence, Visiongain and AKE
- Our location is close to government – physically as well as intellectually. King’s Strand campus is ten minutes walk from Whitehall. This generates interaction between the study and practice of security and foreign policy.
- To undertake and publish world-leading, cutting edge research
- To provide outstanding, research-led teaching and training to the best students we can recruit.
- To disseminate knowledge generated within the Department through a range of knowledge transfer courses.
- To contribute to public life, participating in national and international networks, maintaining our international reputation for excellence in scholarship and policy-relevant research
Please note: events maybe photographed/recorded by the department unless stated otherwise under special circumstances (ie Chatham house rules)