Dr Domitilla Sagramoso
Lecturer in Security and Development
Department of War Studies
King's College London
London WC2R 2LS
Tel: +44 (0) 20 7848 2857
Office hours: By appointment only
I am on sabbatical from September 2015.
I am a Lecturer in Security and Development at the Department of War Studies. I obtained an MA in War Studies (KCL) in 1992 and a PhD at the School of Slavonic and East European Studies, University College London in 1999. I joined the Department in 2005, having previously been the Principal Researcher at the Caucasus Policy Institute, within the International Policy Institute (KCL). From 1999 to 2004 I was a Research Fellow at the Centre for Defence Studies, at King's College London.
My areas of research include:
- Conflict, security and development in Russia, the Caucasus, and Central Asia
- Terrorism, violence and Islam in Eurasia
- Violence and conflict in the North Caucasus
- Russia's relations with the European Union and NATO
Please refer to the Research Portal for a list of publications. A selected list is below:
- Russian Imperialism Revisited, London, Routledge, 2013. (forthcoming)
- "Caucasian Crescent: Russia's Islamic Policies and its Responses to Radicalization," (with Akhmet Yarlykapov) in The Fire Below: How the Caucasus Shaped Russia, (ed.) Robert Bruce Ware, Continuum International Publishing Group, 2013. (forthcoming)
- “The Radicalisation of Islamic Salafi Jamaats in the North Caucasus: Moving Closer to the Global Jihadist Movement?”, Europe-Asia Studies, vol. 64, no.3, May 2012, pp. 561-595.
- “Islamic Radicalism in the North Western Caucasus” in Galina Yemelianova (ed.), Islamic Radicalism in the Former Soviet Space, Routledge, 2009.
- ‘Violence and Conflict in the Russian North Caucasus’, International Affairs, July 2007, vol. 83, issue 4, pp. 681-705.
I convene the following MA modules:
- 7SSWM133 Conflict and Islam
- 7SSWM140 Conflict & Security (co-convenor)
Expertise and Public Engagement
My interests lie in the field of conflict, security and development in Russia, the Caucasus, and Central Asia. I am currently conducting research on a project on Terrorism, Violence and Islam in the Russian North Caucasus.
I am an Associate Fellow of the Russia and Eurasia Programme at Chatham House. I am also a convenor of the Russia and Eurasia Security Research Group