Dr Neville Bolt
Department of War Studies
King's College London
Dr Neville Bolt is Teaching Fellow for the Evolution of Insurgency Masters programme and a Research Associate for Strategy and the Network Society.
He also teaches the BA3 International Relations course Transnational Movements, Networks and Revolution.
He was nominated for a Teaching Excellence Award in 2014.
Dr Bolt is a former TV producer/journalist and political communications strategist.
- Insurgency and revolution
- Propaganda of the Deed: the terrorist act
- Strategic communications
- Social movements and social networks
- War reporting
Books and publications:
- Forthcoming: 'The Future Came Too Soon: Crisis in 21st Century Revolution.'
- ‘The Violent Image: Insurgent Propaganda and the New Revolutionaries’ Hurst and Columbia University Press (March 2012). CHOICE Award, 2013: Outstanding Academic Title (International Relations)
Dr Bolt has been a regular contributor to RUSI and RUSI Journal:
- Whitehall Report: ‘Propaganda of the Deed 2008: Understanding the Phenomenon’ (2008)
- ‘Propaganda of the Deed and The Irish Republican Brotherhood: From the politics of “shock and awe” to the “imagined political community”’ (2008)
- ‘Communication Power’ (2009)
- ‘Unsettling Networks’ (2009)
- ‘The Leak Before the Storm: What WikiLeaks Tells Us About Modern Communication’ (2010)
- ‘Strategic Communications in Crisis’ (2011)
- NATO Strategic Communications Conference, Ankara, Turkey - June 2014: ‘Evolution of Insurgency & Strategic Communication’
- Government of Somalia, Mogadishu, Somalia – July 2014: ‘Insurgency, Networks & Strategic Communications’
- NATO Terrorism Experts Conference, Ankara, Turkey – October 2014: ‘Joining Up The Dots & Breaking Down the Connections: Post-modern Insurgency’
- Exeter University, Strategy & Security Institute – November 2014: ‘Communicating Strategy’
- TRI, University of Management & Technology, Lahore, Pakistan – January 2015: ‘The Meaning of Insurgency & Terrorism in 21st Century’. And ‘Violent Images as the Insurgent Strategic Operating Concept’.
- NATO Attack the Networks Conference, Ankara, Turkey – January 2015: ‘New Approaches & NATO Responses’
Dr Bolt is currently supervising:
- Counter-conduct and resistance in contemporary social movements
- Trust in revolution
- Anonymous: online activism
- US democracy promotion in the Middle East
- Afghan Taliban strategic communications
- Non-violent Propaganda of the Deed