Professor Zoran Paijic
Professor Zoran Pajic, LLB, LLM, PhD
Dr Pajic has been a Visiting Professor at Department of War Studies, King’s College, University of London, since March 2008. He has been living in the UK since 1992, first as a Visiting Professor and British Council Fellow at the University of Essex Centre for Human Rights and since 1995 has held different positions at King's College London (School of Law, British Institute of Human Rights, International Policy Institute). Dr Pajic has held international expert positions at the UN and the International Crisis Group, as well as at the Office of the High Representative in Bosnia and Herzegovina.
Areas of expertise
- International Justice
- War Crime Trials; Institution Building
- Rule of Law and Human Rights in Post-Conflict Societies
- Transition Process in the Balkans
Dr Zoran Pajic was educated in the former Yugoslavia and achieved his law degree, LLB, LLM and PhD in International Law at the University of Sarajevo, which included a doctoral fellowship at the University of Brussels (VUB) in 1982. He held a professorship of Public International Law at the Sarajevo Law Faculty and thought Constitutional Law and International Relations at the same university.
- Office of the High Representative (Paddy Ashdown) of the International Community in Bosnia and Herzegovina. Sarajevo 2002-2005.
Head of the Law Reform Department and Special Advisor to the HR on Domestic Institutions.
- Geneva Centre for the Democratic Control of Armed Forces (DCAF), 2001 to present.
Project Advisor. Revised drafts of the new defence legislation of Montenegro (2006). Provided analysis and recommendations on the reform of security sector in the FRY in 2001.
- DFID Project on Safety, Security and Access to Justice in the Balkans, 2001.
Consultant. Provided fact-finding and recommendations for the DFID strategy on access to justice in Albania, B&H, Croatia, Macedonia and the FRY.
- Royal Institute of International Affairs (Chatham House). London 1998-2001.
Associate Fellow, International Security Programme.
- International Crisis Group, Office in Bosnia and Herzegovina. Sarajevo 1999-2000.
Senior Legal Adviser. Authored ICG reports on the state of judiciary and public administration.
- United Nations Development Programme. Sarajevo 2000.
Team Leader, National Consultants Team.
Supervised work on the “Common Country Study”.
- United Nations International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia. The Hague 1997.
Expert Witness for the Prosecution. Prepared an expertise and testified before the court on constitutional issues and institutional structure of Bosnia and Herzegovina.
Dr Pajic has published extensively on the Balkan affairs, international justice and human rights.
He has also been interviewed on Balkan politics and current issues on BBC World Service, Newsnight, Channel 4, CNN, VoA, Deutsche Welle and RFE. Contributed research papers, comments and analysis to the media and legal journals in Bosnia, Croatia and Serbia.
For a list of his publications, please refer to Zoran Pajic publications