Dr Friedbert Pflüger
Dr Pflüger holds a Master’s and PhD degree form Bonn University, where Karl Dietrich Bracher was his thesis advisor. He spent a year at the Center for International Affairs at Harvard (USA), where he worked closely with Samuel Huntington and taught a course on US Human Rights Policy. Dr Pflüger was also a Visiting Scholar at the Hoover Institution, Stanford.
- Foreign policy
- European-American relations
- Energy security.
Professor Dr Friedbert Pflüger is Director of the European Centre of Energy and Resource Security (EUCERS) at the Department of War Studies, King's College London. He has previously served as a press secretary to former German President Richard von Weizsäcker. Member of the German Bundestag from 1990-2006, Chairman of the Bundestag Committee on the Affairs of the European Union (1998-2004) and Deputy Minister of Defence in the first Merkel Government (2005/06).
Since September 2009 he is Professor for International Relations at the Department of War Studies, King’s College London. He is also non-resident senior fellow at the Atlantic Council's Energy and Environment Program. Pflüger has his own consultancy in Berlin/Erbil and is Senior Advisor for Roland Berger Strategy Consultants. He publishes frequently on current issues in energy and resource security.
Service to the profession
- 1977 to 1978 federal chairman of the Association of Christian Democrat Students (RCDS).
- 1976 to 1978 deputy chairman of the European Democrat Students (EDS).
- 1977 to 1985 member of the federal executive committee of the Junge Union (youth section of the CDU/CSU
- 1981 to 1984 assistant to the Governing Mayor of Berlin, lastly in charge of his personal office.
- 1984 to 1989 spokesman of the Federal President of Germany, Richard von Weizsäcker.
- 1989 to 1991 manager of the Matuschka Group, Berlin (investment banking).
- 1990 to 2006 Member of the Bundestag (Defence Committee and Committee on Foreign Affairs) 1994 to 1998 disarmament policy spokesman of the CDU/CSU parliamentary group in the Bundestag 1998 to 2002 Chairman of the Bundestag Committee on the Affairs of the European Union. 2002 to 2005 Foreign Policy Spokesman of the CDU/CSU Parliamentary Group and foreign policy advisor to Angela Merkel, at the time leader of the opposition, e.g. accompanying her to hold political talks in the United States, the United Kingdom, France, Poland and Kosovo.
- 1999 to 2006 chairman of the Federal Committee on Foreign and Security Policy of the CDU.
- November 2005 to October 2006 Parliamentary State Secretary at the Federal Ministry of Defence (Deputy Minister of Defence).
- October 2006 to September 2008 Chairman of the CDU Parliamentary Group in the Berlin House of Representatives.
- Since April 2000 Member of the National Executive Committee of the CDU, latest reelection in December 2008.
- Since April 2009 Senior Advisor with Roland Berger Strategy Consultants GmbH
- Since April 2009 Adjunct Professor for International Relations at the Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Daytona Beach / Florida /US
Memberships & honorary functions (selection)
- Member of the Presidency of the German Council on Foreign Relations (DGAP)
- Member of the Federal Government’s German-Indian Consultative Group
- Member of the German-British Society (Steering Committee Königswinter Conference)
- Member of the Board of Trustees of The Aspen-Institute Berlin
- Member of Atlantik-Brücke e.V., Berlin
- Chairman of the German-Polish Society, Bonn (1991 to 1998)
- National decorations of Poland, Bulgaria and Lithuania in honour of the strong political support for NATO and EU enlargement.
- “Commander of the Legion of Honour” of France.
Please find a selection of recent articles following
Friedbert Pflüger in Energypost, 24. April 2015,EU investigation Gazprom comes at the wrong time
Friedbert Pflüger in The German Times Online, 9. February 2015, Peace Through Gas
Friedbert Pflüger in Energypost, 26. January 2015, Oil price decline: no room for conspirators
Friedbert Pflüger in Energypost, 9. December 2014,
Cancellation of South Stream is not retaliation, but a business decision
Friedbert Pflüger in Energypost, 6. November 2014,
Outcome of nuclear talks could make Iran an Energy Superpower – even in renewable energy
Friedbert Pflüger in IP (Publication of the German Council of Foreign Relations), 26. August 2014: A Geopolitical Nightmare - The energy superpower Kurdistan must not fall to the “Islamic State”
Friedbert Pflüger in energypost, 27. June 2014: Kurdish oil will find its way out
Friedbert Pflüger in energypost, 7. May 2014: South Stream "Lite" shows it's business as usual between EU and Russia
Friedbert Pflüger in energy post - 5.3.2014:
Aligning interests in Ukraine is key to both EU and Russian energy security
Friedbert Pflüger in Towards Mutual Security- Fifty Years of Munich Security Conference, 2014: The Shifting Geopolitics of Energy – The Green and Shale Revolution
Selected speeches of Prof. Friedbert Pflüger in the context of energy politics
Vienna, Austria: 2nd South Caspian Region Petroleum & Energy 2015 Summit (2015)
Teheran, Iran: World Energy Council (2014)
Madrid, Spain: ESADE Global Annual Energy Meeting (2014)
Washington, USA: Transatlantic Energy Smmit, Atlantik Brücke (2014)
Erbil, North-Iraq: Kurdistan-Iraq Oil & Gas (2014)
Santiago de Chile, Chile: 2. German-Latin American Energy Conference (2014)
Doha, Qatar: Munich Security Conference Core Group (2014)
Berlin, Germany: BDEW Congress (2014)
Ankara, Turkey: 7. Astana Economic Forum (2014)
Frankfurt, Germany: FAZ Energy Forum (2013)
Istanbul, Turkey: Bosporus Energy Club (2013)