This module aims to convey the fundamentals of qualitative research design in the social sciences including research methods, sampling, data collection, analysis and consideration of ethical issues. It aims to equip students with the knowledge, skills and understanding required to conduct qualitative research in the social and health sciences.
On successful completion of this module, students will be able to:
- Formulate appropriate research questions.
- Select the most appropriate qualitative research design to address a specific research problem.
- Demonstrate knowledge of common research deigns and methods used in qualitative research (interviews, focus groups and observation).
- Design and administer a brief topic guide and critically discuss its strengths and weaknesses.
- Analyse qualitative data using simple coding.
- Demonstrate the ability to design and conduct a small original qualitative research project.
- Demonstrate the ability to structure a written qualitative research report.
Professor Barbara Prainsack
Lectures, seminars, workshops (integradtes into 1.5 hours weekly sessions)
Module assessment - more information
1 x 3,500 word report