You must have a high level of competence in English in order to understand university lectures, take part in discussions and pass written examinations. A high degree of participation and engagement with critical thinking is also expected of you.
The course is designed to help you improve your skills in these areas with the principal aims to:
- Improve your expertise in academic writing
- Provide practice in seminar skills and academic discussion to help you express arguments more clearly and concisely
- Make you a quicker and more effective reader
- Provide opportunities for lecture listening and note-taking practice
- Develop your grammatical competence
- Expand your vocabulary, idiomatic and social language skills
- Develop your ability to carry out independent research
- Introduce you to UK academic culture and your new academic environment Improve your understanding of and ability to use academic English appropriately and effectively in an academic environment
- Introduce you to London and the British way of life
- Develop your computer literacy skills
- Ensure that you have met the minimum language entry requirements for your chosen degree programme.