If your medical certificates are from overseas, you will need to have these translated to English by an official translator and provide a self-funded translation certificate. See your embassy for a list of authorised agencies. The original (untranslated) document must also be provided, and this must be signed by the author. Documents sent over that are not translated will be rejected.
What you will need to provide
When applying for additional requirements on the accommodation portal you will be asked to describe any medical conditions or disabilities and provide us with medical evidence to support this. Please email any relevant medical evidence to email@example.com. If your evidence is more than 1 year old, we may ask you to provide a new letter from your GP confirming that the contents of the old letter are still valid and include any changes in your condition.
If it is not clear from your medical evidence or application what provisions are necessary, we may ask for further evidence for clarification on whether your condition or disability requires a specific type of room. We may ask you to clarify how the condition affects you in day to day life and whether your condition or disability necessitates a specific type of room (ensuite, accessible etc) and whether any adaptations or specialist support is required.
Once you have completed the above steps, your additional accommodation requirement will be reviewed by the additional accommodation requirements panel, which includes members of the disability support team. You will be emailed the outcome of your application once it has been reviewed.
It is helpful if the evidence includes:
- Your diagnosis (or diagnoses)
- How the condition affects you in day to day life
- How long you have had the condition and whether it is likely to change over time
- Clarification of whether your condition or disability necessitates a specific type of room (ensuite, accessible etc) and whether any adaptations or specialist support is required
If you can only provide evidence of the medical condition or disability without the above points, we may ask you for further information to support your application.
What is not considered an additional requirement?
- Personal preferences for a room type or location which are not based on a health, welfare or mobility reason
- Being a vegan or vegetarian, or any other dietary restrictions which are not medically required.
- Personal financial circumstances
Requests we cannot accommodate
- Flats or blocks for one specific gender - all accommodation is mixed gender
- Ensuite accommodation for religious or cultural reasons
- Designated quiet accommodation
- Specialist desk chairs (this is classified as study equipment and may be funded by Disabled Students’ Allowances – if you need help with this, please contact the Disability Support Team)
- Alcohol free accommodation