Dr Polina Tambakaki
Niki Marangou Postdoctoral Fellowship
Tel +44 (0)20 7848 7186
Address: Centre for Hellenic Studies
D6, North Wing
King's College London
The relationship of poetry to music, modernism, classical tradition.
Polina Tambakaki studied literature and linguistics (University of Athens) and music (violin). She first came to King’s College London in 2003, when she started her PhD research under the supervision of Roderick Beaton. Her thesis entitled ‘The “Musical Poetics” of George Seferis: A Case Study in the Relationship of Modernist Poetry to Music’ has received the Hellenic Foundation’s 2007 Award for the best doctoral thesis in the United Kingdom in the Modern Literature and Language category and in 2011 was published in Greek by Domos. In 2008-2009 she was Hannah Seeger Davis Postdoctoral Research Fellow in the Program in Hellenic Studies at Princeton University and in 2010-11 she was Visiting Lecturer at the University of Cyprus.
Her research interests include the relationship of poetry to music, with special emphasis on the musical experience of poets and how it affects poetic theory and practice. She has also written on classical receptions in modern poetry and the relationship between literature and history.
- Polina Tambakaki (2011) The ‘Musical Poetics’ of George Seferis Athens: Domos (in Greek) [book]
- Polina Tambakaki (2010) ‘Poetry as Song and National Identity: Palamas and Music’, Proceedings of the Fourth International EENS Congress (European Society of Modern Greek Studies, Granada, 9-12 September 2010) (in Greek) [e-text]
- Polina Tambakaki (2010) ‘George Seferis’, entry in The Literary Encyclopedia [e-text]
- Polina Tambakaki (2009) ‘Dimitris Papanikolaou 2007. Singing Poets: Literature and Popular Music in France and Greece (London: Legenda)’, Comparative Critical Studies 6 (2), pp. 275-8 [book review (print)]
- Polina Tambakaki (2008) ‘A Modern Poet Reads Ancient War Texts: Politics, Life and Death in George Seferis’ “The Last Day”’, Byzantine and Modern Greek Studies 32 (2), pp. 218-36 [article in print journal]
- Polina Tambakaki (2007) ‘A “Musical Comparison” Between Seferis’ Gymnopaidia and “Sirocco 7 Levante”’, Proceedings of the Third International EENS Congress (Bucharest, 2-4 June 2006) Athens: Ellinika Grammata, vol. i., pp. 517-26 (in Greek) [article]
- Polina Tambakaki (2006) ‘Reading Thucydides: Seferis as an “Historical Poet”’, Criticism (K) 10, pp. 82-96 (in Greek) [article in print journal]
- Polina Tambakaki (2002) ‘Gymnopaidies’ by George Seferis and Erik Satie Athens: Oriolos (in Greek) [book]