Student Representation in your Department
Department Student-Staff Liaison Committee (SSLC)
Students are elected as department Student Representatives via the KCLSU online election platform. All elected Student Reps will attend the department Student-Staff Liaison Committee, representing the programme(s)/year group(s) for which they have been elected. Student Reps have the opportunity to influence such things as the content and organisation of modules, library provisions and arrangements for induction.
Meeting at least three times a year, the Student-Staff Liaison Committee (SSLC) provides a platform for the views of the Department’s students to be discussed with members of academic and administrative staff.
After each SSLC meeting a ‘Student Voice’ form will be completed by the SSLC administrator to record student feedback and actions to be taken in response. The form will be approved by the SSLC Chair and Vice-Chair and then posted on the department website and sent to all SSLC committee members.
Each department Student-Staff Liaison Committee will have an elected Student Chair. Elections for Student Chairs are held alongside elections for Student Reps in October each year. There are also elections for returning student positions, e.g. undergraduate second and final year positions, in Spring each year. Student Chairs will be supported by an academic co-Chair in all departments. Each department SSLC Student Chair will attend the Faculty Student Experience Forum where issues raised at department SSLCs for Faculty level consideration will be discussed.
(Students can choose to nominate themselves as either a Student Rep or Student Chair or both)
If you have an issue or concern about any aspect of your programme that you would like to raise with the Department, please ask your student representative to raise it on your behalf.
In addition, each SSLC has access to an Online Forum Area on KEATS where students can leave feedback and comments for Student Reps. These areas are updated and managed by the department SSLC Student Chair.
Please go to the Governance section of the Department website to see:
- The names and contact details of departmental reps for the current academic year (available following election results at the end of October).
- SSLC membership and meeting dates for the current academic year
- Student Voice forms from the previous and current academic year
- For further information on student representation and the student rep role description, visit the KCLSU website.
- For the Student-Staff Liaison Committee (SSLC) – Terms of Reference and SSLC Student Chair Role Description (Arts & Humanities) visit the faculty webpage on student representation.