Show/hide main menu

Starting the academic year

Personal tutors

Each student is allocated a personal tutor who will be your official first point of contact for advice and support for any issues which may affect your studies.

You can find the contact details for your personal tutor on your Student Record. Please note that, due to staff leave, personal tutors may change between years or semesters. If you do not have a personal tutor or do not know who your personal tutor is you should contact your departmental professional services team,

Senior Tutor

You can also arrange to see the relevant Senior Tutor in the department about any concerns about the performance of your personal tutor.  Please also see the personal tutor guidelines in the Faculty Handbook which outlines your responsibilities, the responsibilities of your tutor and the procedure if you encounter problems with your tutor.

Office hours

All tutors have designated office hours for appointments. However, if you have an urgent issue you should contact them straight away: the best means of contact is usually email.

If you have specific access requirements, then please contact your personal tutor, who will be able to suggest an accessible meeting room.


Tutors are often called upon to write references or to speak on your behalf, so it is in your interest to maintain regular contact and keep him or her informed of your various activities and achievements.

Requests for references should normally be addressed in the first instance to your personal tutor, however you may also wish to ask the staff member most familiar with your academic work (in which case you should notify your personal tutor).

Sitemap Site help Terms and conditions  Privacy policy  Accessibility  Modern slavery statement  Contact us

© 2019 King's College London | Strand | London WC2R 2LS | England | United Kingdom | Tel +44 (0)20 7836 5454