Dr Belén Vidal
Senior Lecturer in Film Studies
Tel +44 (0)20 7848 1038
Film Studies Department
King's College London
565N Norfolk Building
Research Interests and PhD supervision
Educated in Spain (Licenciatura by the University of Valencia), USA (MA, Georgetown University) and Scotland (PhD, Glasgow University).
Previously Lecturer in Film Studies at the University of St Andrews (Scotland).
- history and memory in contemporary cinema
- film genres, especially period film, the biopic and the heritage-film debates in British and European cinemas.
- modern and contemporary Spanish cinema
- cinephilia and film cultures
Dr Vidal is interested in supervising doctoral projects in the following areas: period film and the biopic, particularly in European cinema and television; Spanish cinema after Franco; theories of cinephilia.
For more details, please see Belen's full research profile.
- The Biopic in Contemporary Film Culture (co-edited with Tom Brown) (Routledge, 2014)
- Figuring the Past: Period Film and the Mannerist Aesthetic (Amsterdam University Press, 2012)
- Heritage Film: Nation, Genre and Representation (Wallflower Press/Columbia University Press, 2012)
- Cinema at the Periphery (co-edited with Dina Iordanova and David Martin-Jones) (Wayne State University Press, 2010)
For a complete list of publications, please see Belen's full research profile.
Expertise and Public Engagement
She teaches specialist courses on the European Heritage Film, the French New Wave and Contemporary Spanish Cinema at graduate and undergraduate level.
Collaborations with the BFI Southbank
Peer Reviewer for the journal Screen
Figuring the Past: Period Film and the Mannerist Aesthetic (Amsterdam University Press, 2012) and Heritage Film: Nation, Genre and Representation (Wallflower Press/Columbia University Press, 2012).