Professor Paul Readman
Professor in Modern British History
Vice-Dean for Research
+44 (0)20 7848 1573 Email email@example.com Address
Department of History
King’s College London
Room S 8.12
London WC2R 2LS
Research interests and PhD supervision
Paul Readman joined the department in 2002 as Lecturer in Modern British History and was Head of Department from 2008 to 2012. He received his BA, MPhil and PhD from Christ’s College, Cambridge, where he was also elected to a Research Fellowship in 1999. He was educated at Newpark Comprehensive School in South Co. Dublin, Ireland.
- The Cultural and Political History of Modern Britain
- Patriotism and national identities in Britain since the late 18th century
- History of the British landscape preservation
- Electoral politics in Britain, 1860s-1940s
- The ‘Land Question’ in modern Britain
Dr Readman’s research interests lie in modern British political and cultural history. He has published articles on electoral and agrarian politics, landscape preservation, the politics of patriotism, foreign policy, historiography and historical methods, and the place of the past in late Victorian and Edwardian culture. He is author of Land and Nation in England: Patriotism, National Identity and the Politics of Land, 1880-1914 (2008), which examines political debates about Englishness, agriculture and land reform. He has also published, as co-editor, The Land Question in Britain, 1750-1950 (2009). Two further co-edited volumes are forthcoming: By-elections in British Politics 1832-1914 (2013), and Borderlands in World History, 1700-1914 (2014). Dr Readman’s current book project concerns the history of the English landscape between the late eighteenth and early twentieth centuries.
Dr Readman would particularly welcome applications from research students interested in working on topics relating to:
- Nineteenth- and twentieth-century British national identities
- The place of the past in nineteenth and twentieth-century British culture
- The "Land Question" in British politics, c. 1750-1950
- Landscape and the rural in British culture, c. 1750-2000
- Electoral politics c. 1860-1945
Expertise and public engagement
- Matthew Cragoe, Paul Readman (2010) The Land Question in Britain, 1750-1950 Palgrave Macmillan [Edited book in print]
- Paul Readman (2008) Land and Nation in England: Patriotism, National Identity, and the Politics of Land, 1880-1914 Royal Historical Society [Authored Book in print]
Dr Paul Readman co-convenes the Institute of Historical Research (IHR) seminar ‘Britain, 1815-1945’.
Dr Readman has reviewed for the Irish Times, and has appeared on BBC Radio 4. He is a member of the History and Policy network of historians.