Mr AbdoolKarim Vakil
Lecturer in Contemporary Portuguese History
+ 44 (0)20 7848 1020Email abdoolKarim.firstname.lastname@example.orgAddress
Department of Spanish, Portuguese and Latin American Studies & Department of History
King's College London
London WC2R 2LS
Research Interests and PhD supervision
AbdoolKarim Vakil studied his BA in History and Economics at York University before becoming a Lecturer in Portuguese Studies, University of Leeds. From there he went on to become a Lecturer in Contemporary Portuguese History, and Head of Department in the Department of Portuguese & Brazilian Studies at King’s College London. AbdoolKarim has recently also become a Lecturer in the Department of History at King’s College London.
- Nineteenth and twentieth Century Portuguese Intellectual and Cultural History
- Nationalism, Identity politics, colonialism, postcolonialism
- Islam, Muslims, Muslim politics
Historiography, Historical Representations, Heritage policies and politics;
Oliveira Martins and the history of nineteenth century social science;
Nationalist discourses, politics and cultural movements; traditionalism, Integralismo Lusitano Portuguese colonial policy and governance of Muslim communities; contemporary Muslim communities in Portugal and Europe; Islamophobia.
Mr AbdoolKarim Vakil would particularly welcome applications from research students interested in working on topics relating to:
- Nineteenth and twentieth century Portuguese History, Politics, Culture and Society
- Portuguese Intellectual History, Historiography and Cultural politics
- History of Islam and Muslim communities in Europe and the Lusophone world
For more details, please see his full research profile
Expertise and Public Engagement
- S Sayyid, AbdoolKarim Vakil (2011) Thinking Through Islamophobia: Global Perspectives Hurst
[Edited book in print]
- AbdoolKarim Vakil (2004) 'Do Outro ao Diverso. Islão e Muçulmanos em Portugal: história, discursos, identidades' Revista Lusófona de Ciência das Religiões, III (5/6), pp. 283-312.
[Article in print Journal]
- AbdoolKarim Vakil (2004) 'Pensar o Islão: Questões Coloniais, Interrogações Pós-Coloniais' Revista Crítica de Ciências Sociais, 69, pp. 17-52.
[Article in print Journal]
- AboolKarim Vakil (2003) 'Questões Inacabadas: Colonialismo, Islão e Portugalidade', in Fantasmas e Fantasias Imperiais no Imaginário Português Contemporâneo pp. 257-297
- Jo Labanyi, AbdoolKarim Vakil (2001) Forgetting Africa London: Berghahn Journals
[Authored Book in print]
For a complete list of publications, please see AbdoolKarim's full research profile
Mr AbdoolKarim Vakil is a former Honorary Associate Director of the Institute of Romance Studies, School of Advanced Studies, University of London and is a joint Editor of the journal Portuguese Studies.