Ivan E. Gomez-Aguilar
Address c/o Department of Philosophy
King’s College London
Research interests and PhD supervision
Ivan E. Gomez-Aguilar holds a postdoctoral fellowship from the Mexican Council of Science and Technology (CONACyT, 2017). He has a BA and MA in Sociology from the National Autonomous University of Mexico (UNAM); and a PhD in Philosophy of Science from UNAM.
- Social epistemology
- Philosophy of action
- Philosophy of social sciences
Ivan’s current field of expertise is social epistemology. In his PhD thesis, he developed a comparative analysis of the works of Alvin Goldman, Philip Kitcher and Steve Fuller, and proposed an approach to distinguish the social normativity of science in at least three social scales (1. social cognition, 2. testimony exchange and 3. institutional design). His postdoctoral project at KLC, “Knowledge, Reasons and Actions: Dialogues between Social Epistemology and Philosophy of Action”, tries to contribute to the field of social epistemology giving a more detailed characterization of the idea of "acts of knowledge".
- (In progress): The paradox in the origins of analytic social epistemology.
- (2016): “Book Review: Steve Fuller’s Knowledge. The Philosophical Quest in History”, in Philosophy of the Social Science Journal, (Published online before print: June 10, 2016).
- (2014). “El disenso inagotable: debates sobre la dimensión social del conocimiento en la Epistemología Social”. In: ACTA SOCIOLÓGICA, No. 63, January-April 2014 (“The endless dissent: debates about the social dimension of knowledge in Social Epistemology”).
Expertise and public engagement
In the last four years, Ivan E. has worked as a teaching fellow at the Faculty of Political and Social Sciences of the National Autonomous University of Mexico. Among other courses, he has taught the BA modules: “Social Theory”, “ Introduction to Methodology in Social Sciences” and “Structuralism”.
Philosophers of science face the particularly challenging, but hopefully fruitful, task of engaging in discussions both with the general public and experts in different areas of scientific knowledge.
As part of his general interest in public engagement activities, Ivan E. has recently co-written and published an A-level textbook for the new compulsory course “Science, Technology and Society” of the Mexican education system:
- (2016) Libro de Texto Bachillerato Tecnológico: Ciencia, tecnología, sociedad y valores (Science, Technology, Society and Values, A-Level Textbook,) Pearson Press.
In previous years, he also worked as a public consultant (external evaluator) of the “National Institute of Public Health” of Mexico (2005-2007).