Show/hide main menu

Current students' handbook

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I request a letter of recommendation?

Please contact your personal tutor in the first instance to request a letter of recommendation. Personal tutors will be happy to provide you with an academic reference whether you are a current or past student.

I am a new student, how do I enrol / register?

Please refer to the enrolment information in the Student Handbook.

I am a returning student, do I need to register?

During August/September you will be invited to re-enrol online. You will be emailed by the Assessments & Records Centre giving instructions on how to complete this process.

If you have not received an email regarding re-enrolment please log in to Student Records and see if the re-enrolment task is visible and available for you to complete.

If not, please contact Registry Services (internal content only)

NB If you are a returning student, you do not need to attend campus registration.

What systems do I need to have access to?

Register IT account

You will need to register your IT account to get access to student computing PCs, King’s email service, KEATS and access the intranet. You can find out more about this on the New to King’s website.

Once you have registered your IT account you will be able to access your email from the intranet here (internal content only).

If your IT account username and password doesn’t work you should contact the IT Service desk (internal content only).


The College E-Learning Service (KEATS) is the virtual learning environment for the delivery of teaching material throughout King's College London. You can find out how to access and use the system on the College E-learning Service webpages.

Log in to KEATS

Student Records

Student Records is an online system that allows students to manage their personal information at King’s. You can also view your module registrations, module results and find out who your personal tutor is. You will also find your personalised exam timetable on Student Records.

Log in to Student Records

Research profiles for PGR students

Postgraduate Research students are encouraged to update their profile pages on the College’s research website the Research Portal. Information on how to access the system is available on this page in the Faculty Handbook.
Where is my timetable?

Returning students can access their timetable by logging in to their Student Records account.

New students: your personal timetable will be available from the Monday of the first week of teaching.

General programme timetables are available on the timetables page in your Department Handbook.

If you have any specific enquiries then please contact your Department.

What are the key dates I should know about?

The dates of academic terms and reading weeks are available to view on the term dates page.

Exam timetable publication dates (and timetables in due course) are available on the College intranet pages here (internal content only). 

A personal exam timetable showing the exams you are registered to take will also be available on your Student Record. There is further information on the Examination Periods and Examination Publications pages.

There is more information on important dates including graduation ceremonies on the College’s intranet pages here (internal content only). 

Where are you and how do I contact you?

Your Department Office will be your first point of call for queries. Details of all the Department Offices in the Faculty are available on our website. You can find out how to contact Faculty Office teams specifically via this page.

Who is my personal tutor?

You can find the contact details for your personal tutor on your Student Record. Please see the page on personal tutors in your Department Handbook (in the Starting the academic year section) for more information as well as the Faculty Guidelines on you & your personal tutor.

How do I become a student representative?

The primary role of student representatives is to proactively gather feedback and raise concerns from the student body, either at programme, departmental or Faculty level and to attend Staff/Student Liaison Committees (SSLCs) and other Faculty and departmental meetings to provide feedback to staff on the student experience and views. You can find out more about becoming a rep on our student representatives page.

How do I find my way around?

Maps, travel directions and addresses for buildings are available on the King’s website.

How do I choose my modules or make changes to my modules?

New students will be asked to submit their module choices before the end of Welcome Week (the exact deadline varies by department - please check your Department Handbook). Full instructions as to the process will be released during Induction Week.

Second and third year students will be asked to make their module choices during semester two of the preceding academic year. This allows your timetable to be constructed around the modules you choose. Your Programme Administrator will send out instructions during the early part of semester two. 

For undergraduates it is possible to change modules during the first two weeks of semester one only, but not afterwards.  This deadline applies to modules starting in semester one and semester two.

For postgraduates, changes are generally allowed up until late October for modules which are examined in the January exam period, and up till late January for modules which are examined in the May exam period.  However this will depend on the availability of the module you wish to change to. You will also need to ensure that you will attain the correct amount of credits when changing modules. 

More information is available on the changing modules page within your Department Handbook (in the Programmes section).
How do I change my registration status? (Interrupt / withdraw / transfer information)

Occasionally situations arise that are outside your control and may adversely impact your ability to engage with your studies, i.e. ill health, financial difficulties and other personal reasons.
On these occasions it is often necessary for you to make a change to your registration status.

There are various changes that you can make including: Interruption of study, Permanent withdrawal from College, Transfer of mode of attendance or Transfer of programme of study.

For further information please see the Assessment and Records Centre pages:

 (internal content only)

How do I get my results?
Exam results are available after they have been ratified by the Faculty Exam Board. After this meeting your award and your module marks will be published on Student Records. All marks given to you before the Board meeting are not confirmed and may be subject to change. For more information on getting your results see Registry Services intranet pages which also has information on Exams, Progression and Reassessments.
How do I find out my degree classification and how is this determined?

You will receive your agreed final degree classification via your Student Record.

The classification of your degree result is determined by the marks you obtain in the examinations you sit and the assessed coursework and oral presentations you complete, as well as any long essays and/or dissertations submitted.  Details on the calculations performed to arrive at your overall classification can be found on the degree classification page of the Faculty Handbook.

Sitemap Site help Terms and conditions  Privacy policy  Accessibility  Modern slavery statement  Contact us

© 2019 King's College London | Strand | London WC2R 2LS | England | United Kingdom | Tel +44 (0)20 7836 5454