Show/hide main menu

Level 5

5AAT2037 Introduction to Biblical Hebrew

THIS MODULE IS RUNNING IN 2019-20

The modules run in each academic year are subject to change in line with staff availability and student demand so there is no guarantee this module will run. Module descriptions and information may vary depending between years.

Credit value: 30
Module tutor: Dr Jonathan Stökl
Assessment: Four online tests (5% each, 20% total); one 1,500-word essay (30%) and a two hour examination (50%) which will cover all elements of the course, grammar, set texts and unseen translation.

Students are reassessed in the failed elements of assessment and by the same methods as the first attempt.

Teaching pattern: one two-hour and one one-hour weekly classes over 20 weeks.
Pre-requisites: none

This module is for students who want to learn Biblical Hebrew from scratch.
No previous knowledge is assumed.  Students will be given an intensive grounding in Biblical Hebrew grammar. This will lead to the reading of accessible biblical texts such as the Joseph narrative, the book of Ruth or Jonah.

Teaching takes place on a weekly basis throughout the year. In addition to the classes, at least 6-8 hours self-study time per week is recommended.

Further information

Module aims
  • To learn the basic elements of biblical Hebrew grammar and vocabulary
  • To introduce the issues surrounding translation of ancient texts and exegesis of the text in their original language
  • To learn how to use standard biblical Hebrew lexicons
  • To learn to read and understand critical editions of the Hebrew Bible.
Learning outcomes
  • By the end of the course, students will be able to read, understand, translate, and comment grammatically on texts written in biblical Hebrew
  • By the end of the course, students will be able to demonstrate and ability to analyse, interpret, and comment exegetically upon biblical Hebrew prose writing.
  • By the end of the course, students will be able to demonstrate close, critical knowledge of the structure and content of one portion of biblical Hebrew prose.
Past syllabi

Previous syllabus document available here for academic year 2015-16.

Please note that module syllabus and topics covered may vary from year to year.

Preliminary Reading

The textbook for this course is 

Lily Kahn. The Routledge Introductory Course in Biblical Hebrew. London / New York: Routledge, 2013.

 

Sitemap Site help Terms and conditions  Privacy policy  Accessibility  Modern slavery statement  Contact us

© 2019 King's College London | Strand | London WC2R 2LS | England | United Kingdom | Tel +44 (0)20 7836 5454