Dr Carool Kersten
Reader in the Study of Islam & the Muslim World
Tel +44 (0)20 7848 1795
Address: Dept of Theology & Religious Studies
King's College London
Room 3.31, Virginia Woolf Building,
LONDON, WC2B 6LE
Research interests and PhD supervision
Dr Carool Kersten has been at King’s College London since 2007. Before that he was a faculty member at the Centre for International and Graduate Studies at Payap University in Thailand. He has also been an associate lecturer at the Open University (UK), a guest lecturer at the Institute of Ismaili Studies (IIS), a research associate at the School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS) and associate fellow at the Asia Research Institute (ARI) of the National University of Singapore.
Dr Kersten has a PhD in the study of religions from SOAS. He also holds an MA (cum laude) in Arabic and Middle Eastern Studies from Radboud University Nijmegen (Netherlands) and a Certificate in Southeast Asian Studies from Payap University (Thailand)
- Intellectual history of the modern and contemporary Muslim World
- Political Islam
- Islam in Southeast Asia
- Islam in Global and transregional contexts
- Theory and method in the study of religions
- A History of Islam in Indonesia (2017, Edinburgh University Press)
- Poesis of peace: Narratives, Cultures and Philosophies (2017, Routledge)
- Islam in Indonesia: The Contest for Society, Ideas and Values (2015, Hurst/Oxford University Press)
- The Caliphate and Islamic Statehood (2015, Gerlach Press)
- Cosmopolitans and Heretics: New Muslim Intellectuals and the Study of Islam (2013, Hurst/Oxford University Press)
Dr Kersten teaches undergraduate and postgraduate modules on modern and contemporary Islam with an emphasis on politics and intellectual history.
Dr Kersten is the founding editor of the book series Contemporary Thought in the Islamic World for Routledge and a founding member of BRAIS, the British Association for Islamic Studies, serving a second term on its council and advisory board.
Dr Kersten is a regular commentator on current affairs and developments in the Muslim world in the international media. He also featured in a 2-part documentary made by Islam Channel on the history of Islam in Indonesia and worked as a consultant to the BBC for the development of online content about Islam and Muslims. In 2015 this work was recognized with the King’s Award for Media Personality of the Year
Dr Kersten has taken part in briefings, seminars and workshops at the British, Dutch and Indonesian Ministries of Foreign Affairs, both Houses of Parliament, the European Parliament, and units of the British Armed Forces.
He has been an invited delegate to The World Forum for Muslim Democrats in Malaysia (2014) and Japan (2016).