Show/hide main menu

Your responsibilities as a student

You & your personal tutor

All undergraduate and taught postgraduate students are assigned a personal tutor. Postgraduate research students will have a research supervisor who will take on this role. Your personal tutor may be someone who also teaches you in your degree course, but as your personal tutor their primary responsibility is not to be your academic teacher. Rather it is to be your official first point of contact for advice and support for any issues which may affect your studies.

You can find the contact details for your personal tutor on your Student Record. If you do not have a personal tutor or do not know who your personal tutor is you should contact your departmental Professional Services team.

How it works
  • We try to ensure you have the same personal tutor throughout your course of study. If your personal tutor is on short-term study leave you will be allocated a temporary personal tutor until your permanent personal tutor returns
  • You should have a personal tutor in every department that is part of your degree title ie. single honours students will have one personal tutor, combined honours students (‘and’ or ‘with’ degrees) will have a personal tutor in each of the departments in which the course is run
Personal tutor responsibilities
Your personal tutor should:
  • Be a responsible person in whom you can confide
  • Meet you each term in order to discuss your progress
  • Be available for unscheduled individual consultations which may be carried out in person, by telephone or by email
  • Provide a link between you and the College
  • Assist you in finding solutions to academic and other problems that you feel may affect your life at King's
  • Recommend for you other individuals or services who may be better placed to assist you with a specific problem
Your responsibilities

You should:

  • Make a note of when and where your personal tutor is available as soon as you can
  • Meet with your personal tutor at the start of your course and thereafter at least once a semester to discuss your progress and let them know if you need support to resolve problems related to your academic or personal life
  • See your personal tutor whenever you are requested to do so and constructively prepare for these meetings. Although it is your tutor’s responsibility to set up and invite you to regular meetings, it is your responsibility to attend them. Tutors will be asked to keep a record of students who do not attend these meetings
  • Should you have a query or a problem to discuss with your personal tutor, it is your responsibility to contact them. If you find yourself in a situation that is likely to affect your academic progress or attendance at College you should talk to your personal tutor as soon as possible
  • Follow up for yourself any advice or guidance given, in particular where you are advised to consult professional services such as welfare or medical agencies (personal tutors are not trained counsellors or health-care professionals and cannot set up these appointments for you)
  • It is College policy to use King’s College London email addresses for official communication with students. Your personal tutor will use your King’s email address to contact you, so make sure that you check it regularly.

Please also see the College's Personal Tutor Guide for Students on the Student Services website.

Problems with personal tutors

If you feel the need to change your personal tutor you should contact the Senior Tutor for your department to explain your reasons for requesting a change. They will then respond to your request as they see fit, taking into account your reasons and staff availability. You should not make repeated or unreasonable requests to change your personal tutor; nor should the department unreasonably refuse a request.

If you have a complaint, you should first speak to either the departmental Senior Tutor or the Head of Department, so that an attempt can be made to resolve your complaint informally. If after this you are still not satisfied, you may wish to submit a formal written complaint. More information is available on the Faculty Complaints Procedure page.


Sitemap Site help Terms and conditions  Privacy policy  Accessibility  Modern slavery statement  Contact us

© 2019 King's College London | Strand | London WC2R 2LS | England | United Kingdom | Tel +44 (0)20 7836 5454