Show/hide main menu

Student Services

Banking, Tax, Travel & Health




Open a UK bank account 

The UK has a wide variety of high street and online banking services offering a multitude of different accounts, so we advise you shop around to find the best account for you.

We can recommend searching both the Which? and MoneySavingExpert websites for high quality consumer guidance.

If you’re finding banking terms confusing or if you’re experiencing difficulties managing money. You'll also find the advice and guidance pages a helpful resource.

If you wish to open a bank account or update an existing bank account to a student bank account, you will normally be required to show evidence of your student status at King’s.

Once you've collected your ID card, you will be able to download your letter from Student Records as you're officially a student at King's. 

Visit for download instructions.


 Apply for Council Tax Exemption

Council Tax is a ‘local authority’ tax for England, Wales and Scotland.

The money raised helps fund services that are provided by the local government, for example: rubbish collection, street lighting, road sweeping, policing, fire services, as well as support for elderly and vulnerable residents.

The tax is calculated on the value of a property and, in most cases, it is the tenant who pays unless they are exempt or entitled to Council Tax Benefit.

Full-time students registered on a full-time course of 24 weeks or more are exempt from Council Tax but the property may still be liable for a bill, depending on the status of the other occupants.

In order to register your exemption, you will need to provide your council with the dates that you moved into the property and possibly supply them with a copy of your tenancy agreement.

You'll also need to provide your Confirmation of Study letter, which shows proof that you’re a student, along with the start and expected end date of your course.

Once you've collected your ID card, you will be able to download your letter from Student Records as you're officially a student at King's. 

Visit for download instructions.


Apply for travel discounts

+18 Student Oyster Photocard (for travelling around London)

Full-time students can apply online for a Transport for London (TfL) Student Oyster Photocard, which entitles you to 30% off the price of adult-rate Travelcards and Bus & Tram season tickets.

To be eligible, you must be a full-time student at King's enrolled on a course of at least 14 weeks.

Application are made fully online on the TfL website and cost £20, but you’ll make this charge up with the money you save.

When prompted to enter where you’re studying, please make sure you type King’s with the apostrophe to avoid selecting the wrong educational establishment. It can prove a small but costly mistake!

16-25 Railcard (for travelling by train around the UK)

If you are between 16 and 25 years old, or a full-time student over 25, you can purchase a 16-25 Railcard which will save you 1/3 on rail fares throughout the UK for either a year or three years.

You can either apply online or pick up a hard copy form from any train station or at Student Services desks on any campus.

Over 25 & full-time

You will need the University to verify this. Take the form to any Student Services desk along and they will sign and stamp this for you. If you're using paper application, then you'll need to bring a passport photo to Student Services as well to be signed and stamped.


 Doctors, Dentists and Emergency services

GPs deal with a range of health problems, work in ‘practices’ and they’re the access point to NHS services and non-emergency treatment.

GPs work closely with other healthcare professionals, such as mental health services. If your GP cannot deal with a problem, then you’ll usually be referred to a hospital for tests, treatment, or to see a consultant with specialist knowledge.

You can register at the King's NHS Health Centre located in the Strand campus (details below).

You just fill in the registration forms which are found on their website.

Alternatively, you can register with a practice closer to you using the NHS website and use the GP finder.


In an emergency, dial 999 or visit your local Accident & Emergency (A&E) immediately regrdless of whether you are registered with the NHS or not for treatment.

International students

Under current rules anyone can register with a GP practice in England and receive free primary care. Once registered as a NHS patient, primary care NHS services provided by a GP practice are free..

For the first six months of your time in the UK there may be a charge for use of non-emergency secondary care (such as hospitals and specialists). Please visit here for further information. 


Dentists work independently from GPs. Check the NHS website for a dentist near you. You’ll need to complete a form to register similar to the process for your GP.

Not all NHS treatment is free, you will likely need to pay a nominal charge when:

  • Seeing a dentist*
  • Obtaining prescribed medication

There is no specific exemption or discount for students.

However, there are criteria that exempt certain people from charges. Check the NHS website for more information.

*KCL student dentists at Guy’s offer free supervised treatment, search the KCL website for more information.

  • Was this page helpful?
    Let us know.
  • Please select


Sitemap Site help Terms and conditions  Privacy policy  Accessibility  Modern slavery statement  Contact us

© 2019 King's College London | Strand | London WC2R 2LS | England | United Kingdom | Tel +44 (0)20 7836 5454