Show/hide main menu

Personal Tutors

The role of personal tutors

All Undergraduate and Postgraduate Taught students are allocated a personal tutor from within their department or faculty. Postgraduate Research students will have a research supervisor.

A personal tutor is an academic member of staff who will take an active interest in a student's academic progress and university experience, and is concerned for a student's general welfare.

All students will also be able to contact a Senior Tutor in their department. You can explore how these academic members of staff will support you in the Student Guide to Personal Tutoring.

Your first few weeks

Within the first few weeks of starting at King’s you should meet with your personal tutor. At this initial meeting they will tell you about the role of the personal tutor and give you information about how you can make contact with him or her if you need to. To prepare for your first one:one meeting with your personal tutor, you can use this preparation sheet as a prompt for things you might want your personal tutor to know about you.

Our advice is to get to know your personal tutor; the system works best for you if you maintain good communications with him or her.

Personal tutors will contact their tutees over the King's network; you should check your King's email regularly for communication from your personal tutor.

If you cannot attend a meeting with your personal tutor, be sure to contact them to arrange a more suitable time. Regular communication helps to prevent staff developing concerns about student safety.

Your learning and living experience

Your personal tutor should be the first person at the university that you speak to if you are having any personal difficulties that are affecting your work. These could be academic, financial, health-related or another type of problem.

Your personal tutor will listen and if he or she can’t help you directly they will know who to refer you to.

Remember whatever the nature of your problem, please do discuss it with someone, your personal tutor or otherwise. The earlier that any issue is identified the more likely it is that it can be resolved.

You can talk to your personal tutor about your learning needs and he or she can offer advice or recommend that you enrol on a study skills course. Your main support for academic issues relating to specific modules will be the lecturer who is teaching that module.

Your tutor will be the person who, if asked, will write a reference for you – so it is important that you meet with your personal tutor regularly. You should share your successes and achievements with your personal tutor, so that they can celebrate these with you, and can write about them in a reference.

Sitemap Site help Terms and conditions  Privacy policy  Accessibility  Modern slavery statement  Contact us

© 2020 King's College London | Strand | London WC2R 2LS | England | United Kingdom | Tel +44 (0)20 7836 5454