Undertaking a placement in the UK or overseas as part of the third year of your degree programme is a valuable personal and professional experience and will help to boost your career prospects after graduation.
There are so many academic and professional learning benefits to a placement year:
- Develop the practical knowledge, skills, attributes and experience employers are looking for in graduates.
- Learn more about how organisations work, explore your career interests and build up essential professional networks.
- Apply the academic knowledge you’ve learned during your first two years of study to a real-life working context.
- Use the practical knowledge you’ve gained on placement to enhance your academic understanding of your subject in final year.
Faculties with placement years
The Global Placements team based in King’s Careers & Employability supports students on the following programmes who have a third year in industry included in their degree:
Other King’s Faculties offering placement years manage and organise their own placement support. Please refer to Faculties' webpages for further information.
What will your placement journey throughout your degree look like?
1st Year- Discover: different career pathways, identify your strengths and passions, and boost your experience by getting involved in university life.
2nd Year- Focus: on your skills and experience moving into the placement application stage. Network with employers, strengthen your CV, application, interview skills and prepare for the world of work.
3rd Year- Action: put your knowledge and skills into action on your placement year as you keep learning and growing on a professional and personal level.
4th Year- Reflect: on your placement experience when you return to King’s for your final year. Use your knowledge, skills and experience you gained to guide your career thinking for after graduation.
How do we support you?
Whilst you are ultimately responsible for securing your own opportunities, the Global Placements team offers support to all students throughout their placement journey.
We have developed a specialised series of placement-specific events, workshops and online resources to support you to develop professional skills and feel ready to enter the world of work in your third year. These include:
- 1-1 Careers Consultations
- Placement Preparation workshops
- Employer Networking Events
- Peer Learning & Placement Student Socials
- Dedicated in-placement support
- An online placements hub full of resources and guidance on KEATS
- King’s CareerConnect - our online vacancy board advertising hundreds of opportunities
You can also get in touch with our team directly to discuss your placement year.
If your programme doesn’t include a placement year but you’re interested in embedding work experience into your degree, you may be able to carry out an accredited internship module or we can help you to find and create your own extra-curricular work experience through internships, part-time work or experiential learning opportunities such as our King’s Experience Awards.