Dr Claudia Bausewein
Honorary Research Associate
Claudia qualified in medicine at Munich University in 1992. Her medical background is internal medicine although she has been involved in palliative care in Germany for more than 20 years. From 2001 to 2007 she worked as a Consultant in Palliative Medicine at the Interdisciplinary Centre for Palliative Medicine at Munich University. Since 2004, Claudia has been vice-president of the German Association for Palliative Medicine and was co-editor of the German Journal of Palliative Medicine from 2000 to 2009.
After completing the MSc course in the Department of Palliative Care, Policy and Rehabilitation at King's College London, Claudia joined the department in 2005 as research training fellow to undertake a PhD on breathlessness in advanced disease funded by Cicely Saunders International. She completed her PhD in 2009 in which she described the high symptom burden of COPD and cancer patients suffering from breathlessness. Also, for the first time, she described individual breathlessness trajectories over time and towards death.
In 2011, Claudia was appointed Professor of Palliative Medicine at the University of Munich.
- Vice-President of the German Association for Palliative Medicine
- Co-Chair of Guideline group of the German Association of Palliative Medicine
- Organisation of an international PRISMA workshop on outcome measurement in palliative care in Berlin/ Germany in March 2010 with over 30 participants from all over Europe, Canada and Africa.
Presentations at international conferences
- 2009 - German Respiratory Conference, Mannheim:
Treatment of anxiety and depression in patients with chronic lung disease. EAPC Conference, Vienna: Course of breathlessness over time in patients with advanced cancer and COPD.
- 2008 - 5th European Research Forum, Trondheim:
Choosing a placebo. 9th German Palliative Care Conference, Wiesbaden: High person – low technology: palliative care myth or reality; Research at the end of life – methodological challenges. International Breathlessness Day, Cambridge: Breathlessness trajectories in patients with advanced cancer and severe COPD.
- 2007 - International Breathlessness Day, Cambridge: Non-pharmacological interventions in breathlessness.
- 2006 - 8th German Palliative Medicine Conference, Hamburg:
What is evidence based in palliative medicine? Mixed methods in palliative care research. 2nd Austrian Palliative Care Conference, Salzburg/ Austria: Workshop on research methods in palliative medicine; Management of dyspnoea in palliative medicine.
- 2005 - EAPC Conference, Aachen:
Palliative Care in Patients with Head and Neck Cancer; The Palliative Care Outcome Scale.
- 2004 - 3rd EAPC Research Forum, Stresa/Italy:
Comprehensive Quality of Life Outcomes; Quality of life assessment in palliative care. 1st Austrian Palliative Care Conference, Graz/Austria: Management of gastrointestinal obstruction.