Dr Thomas R Osborne
Clinical Research Fellow and Specialty Registrar in Palliative Medicine
Phone: 0207 848 5520
Fax: 0207 848 5517
Researcher ID: http://www.researcherid.com/rid/F-4418-2012
Palliative Care; Supportive Care; Haemato-oncology; Multiple Myeloma; Quality of life; Measurement; Psychometrics; Outcome Assessment; Prognostication
Thomas completed a BA in Experimental Psychology at Cambridge University in 2001. He went on to complete his clinical training at Guy’s, King’s and St. Thomas’ Medical School and graduated with MBBS in 2004. Since 2004 he has trained within the NHS in a range of medical specialties, and began specialist training in Palliative Medicine in 2008. He became a Member of the Royal College of Physicians (UK) in July 2008.
He joined the academic department at the Cicely Saunders’s Institute as a Clinical Research Fellow in 2010. He is currently working towards a PhD supervised by Professor Irene Higginson on a programme of research investigating quality of life of people with multiple myeloma. He is particularly interested in outcome measurement, the supportive care of patients with haematological cancer, and tools to aid with prognosis predication in palliative populations.
- Subramaniam S, Thorns A, Ridout M, Thirukkumaran T, Osborne TR. Accuracy of prognosis prediction by PPI in hospice inpatients with cancer: a multi-centre prospective study. BMJ Support Palliative Care. Published Online 18th April 2013.
- Osborne TR, Ramsenthaler C, Siegert RJ, Edmonds PM, Schey SA, Higginson IJ. What issues matter most to people with multiple myeloma and how well are we measuring them? A systematic review of quality of life tools. European Journal of Haematology. 89(6):437-57, Dec 2012.
- Osborne TR, Ramsenthaler C, Siegert RJ, Edmonds PE, Schey SA, Higginson IJ. Health related quality of life instruments for use in people with multiple myeloma: a systematic literature review. Haematologica. 96[suppl.2]:366, 2011. (Abstract)
- Teaching of MBBS students at Guy’s, King’s and St Thomas’ medical school (bedside and symposium).
- Examiner at MBBS OSCEs, Guy’s, King’s and St Thomas’ medical school.
- Teaching of MRCP candidates on King’s College London PACES course (bedside and seminar).
- Personal tutor for students on MSc in palliative care at Cicely Saunders Institute.