Research Associate, E-Learning and Technology
Address: King’s College London
Cicely Saunders Institute
Department of Palliative Care, Policy and Rehabilitation
Denmark Hill, SE5 9PJ
Outcome measurement, evaluation of complex interventions, research methods
Key Leadership Roles
Hamid worked for the NHS as programme co-ordinator at Kingston Primary Care Trust (London), before joining the department in 2009 to work on the PRISMA project, a major European-wide project funded by the European Commission under the 7th Framework Programme. The principal aim of the PRISMA work package 4 was to map and harmonize approaches and experiences in end-of-life cancer care measurement and quality indicators and to develop online resources to support and enhance Pan-European measurement and research in end-of-life care for cancer patients. He was also involved in a research project within the department looking at experiences of episodic breathlessness in patients with advanced disease.
Since 2010, Hamid has been playing an active role in the POS new developments.
Since 2011, he was been involved in the MORECare project which looks at the methods for evaluating service delivery models for end of life care (EoLC). MORECare aims to develop best practice guidance on how to develop and evaluate models of service delivery and complex interventions in palliative and end of life care. At the end of 2011 Hamid was appointed to a new post of deputy MSc Co-ordinator with special responsibility for e-learning.
Palliative care Outcome Scale (POS) team member: The POS development team is based in the UK and works in collaboration with POS users around the world to improve POS and help advance measurement in palliative care.
- Simon, S. T., Higginson, I. J., Benalia, H., Gysels, M., Murtagh, F. E., Spicer, J., & Bausewein, C. (2013). Episodes of breathlessness: Types and patterns–a qualitative study exploring experiences of patients with advanced diseases.Palliative medicine, 27(6), 524-532.
- Higginson, I., C. Evans, G. Grande, N. Preston, M. Morgan, P. McCrone, P. Lewis, P. Fayers, R. Harding, M. Hotopf, S. Murray, H. Benalia, M. Gysels, M. Farquhar, C. Todd and on behalf of MORECare (2013). "Evaluating complex interventions in End of Life Care: the MORECare Statement on good practice generated by a synthesis of transparent expert consultations and systematic reviews." BMC Medicine 11(1): 111.
- Evans, C. J., H. Benalia, N. J. Preston, G. Grande, M. Gysels, V. Short, B. A. Daveson, C. Bausewein, C. Todd, I. J. Higginson and on behalf of MORECare (2013). "The selection and use of outcome measures in palliative and end-of-life care research: the MORECare international consensus workshop." Journal of pain and symptom management.
- Downing, J., Simon S.T., Mwangi-Powell, F.N., Benalia, H., Daveson, B.A., Higginson, I.J., Harding, R. and Bausewein, C. 2012. Outcomes 'Out of Africa': the selection and implementation of outcome measures for palliative care in Africa. BMC Palliative Care. 11(1), p.1.
- Higginson, I.J., Simon, S.T., Benalia, H., Downing, J.,Daveson,B., Harding, R. and Bausewein, C. 2012. Which questions of two commonly used multidimensional palliative care patient reported outcome measures are most useful? Results from the European and African PRISMA survey. BMJ Supportive and Palliative Care. 2(1), pp.36-42.
Co-ordinating the MSC in Palliative Care at King’s College London which involves: marking, supervising students, developing e-learning environment etc…
Teaching on the European Academy of Palliative Care.
Teaching Enhanced Learning Grant, King’s College London: Developing a sustainable model to increase on-line peer teaching (co-applicant).