NIHR Doctoral Research Fellow
Phone: 0207 848 5627
Fax: 0207 848 5517
Researcher ID: http://www.researcherid.com/rid/J-8940-2012
Non-cancer palliative care; liver disease palliative care; patient-reported outcome measurements; mixed-methods research.
Key Leadership Roles
Stephen studied at University College London, graduating in 2002 with bachelors degrees in immunology and medicine. Following this he undertook training in general internal medicine, achieving Membership of the Royal College of Physicians (UK) in 2005. He then commenced specialist training in gastroenterology and hepatology and has worked in hospitals across London, Surrey and Sussex.
Stephen joined King’s College Hospital as a Specialist Registrar in Hepatology in 2009 and the following year was appointed as a Clinical Research Fellow at the Institute of Liver Studies, King’s College London. During this time, he supported the research programme of Dr Michael Heneghan into autoimmune liver disease and predictors of mortality in liver transplant candidates.
Stephen joined the Cicely Saunders Institute as a PhD student in 2012 having won a NIHR Doctoral Research Fellowship to carry out a longitudinal mixed-methods study into end of life care needs for people living with advanced liver disease and their carers.
Stephen was a member of the expert panel advising NHS Liver Care and the National End of Life Care Programme in the production of the strategy document “Getting It Right: Improving End of Life Care for People Living with Liver Disease” (2013).
- Kriese S, Heneghan MA. Current concepts in the diagnosis and management of autoimmune hepatitis. Frontline Gastroenterology. 2013;4:2–11.
- Westbrook RHR, Yeoman ADA, Kriese S, Heneghan MAM. Outcomes of pregnancy in women with autoimmune hepatitis. J. Autoimmunity. 2012;38:J239–J244.
- Smyk DS, Bogdanos DP, Kriese S, Billinis C, Burroughs AK, Rigopoulou EI. Urinary tract infection as a risk factor for autoimmune liver disease: from bench to bedside. Clin Res Hepatol Gastroenterol. 2012;36:110–121.
- Smyk DS, Rigopoulou EI, Koutsoumpas AL, Kriese S, Burroughs AK, Bogdanos DP. Autoantibodies in autoimmune pancreatitis. Int J Rheumatol. 2012;2012:940831.
- Kriese S, Heneghan MA. Autoimmune hepatitis. Medicine. 2011;39:580–584.
- Examiner for KCL Medical School Objective Structured Clinical Examinations (OSCE)
- Examiner for KCL Palliative Care MSc Advanced Symptom Control module
- Coordinator for KCH hepatology and hepatobiliary core & specialist trainee educational programme
National Institute of Health Research (NIHR). Understanding and improving the quality of end-of-life care for patients with end-stage liver disease; a longitudinal study of symptoms and experience. Higginson I.J., Kriese S.
£288,114 (2012 – 2015)