Skip to main content
KBS_Icon_questionmark link-ico

Remote study

What is Remote Study?

We understand there is anxiety in the student community and that some of you will wish to return home to be with your families. For these exceptional circumstances we have created a Remote Study Form so you can tell us you are studying from home or any location outside campus.

Will face to face teaching still be available?

From 23 March there will be no face to face teaching unless you are advised by your department. Some programmes will require you to attend in person so please check with your department.

Will I be considered absent?

Unless your department advises you need to attend in person, the university will not consider you to be absent if you do not come onto campus from the 16 March 2020

How can I let my department know I would like to study remotely?

If you would like to study remotely, then please complete our Remote Study Form so that we can let your departments know where you are and that you wish to study remotely.

I am a Tier 4 student what do I need to do?

Continue to meet the conditions of your Tier 4 visa please ensure you take the following steps:

  • Report to the university by filling in the Remote Study Form of your intention to continue your studies remotely. Please fill in this form even if you intend to remain in the UK
  • Continue to engage with your studies online using the resources provided by your department and submit assessments to deadline
  • Be prepared to return to the UK upon notification from King’s that normal teaching is resuming on campus

If for any reason you are unable to engage with your studies remotely or you are unable to return to the UK when the university notifies you that teaching will resume on campus please contact for further guidance on your options.

If you have already left the UK it is important that you take the above actions to safeguard your Tier 4 visa.

If you feel you must travel, please check the Foreign and Commonwealth Office webpages for guidance and ensure that you are prepared for a period of self-isolation, either in another country or on return to the UK

I’ve submitted a Remote Study form, what happens next?

Your details will be shared with your department so that we can keep accurate records of who is studying remotely. Your department will contact you if they have specific questions or requirements for your new arrangement. 

What if I don’t submit a Remote Study form?

If you don’t submit a Remote Study form, then we will not have a record that you are studying remotely and won’t be able to respond to any support needs effectively. Your department will contact you if they notice you are neither attending classes nor engaging online. 

How long can I stay away from the university?

We can’t advise how long you should stay abroad or off campus, especially because we know that everyone will have different concerns and circumstances. Please keep checking the advice we share on the rest of this webpage and any updates sent to your King’s email address. 

If your circumstances change, and especially your ability to study remotely, please contact your department. 

I’m studying remotely but have now fallen ill, what should I do?

You should update your department and if your illness is coronavirus-related, please follow the advice under the self-isolation section of this webpage. 

What systems can I access remotely?

If you have a secure internet connection and use your King’s IT credentials, most key systems will be available to you. This includes: Microsoft’s Office 365 (for your King’s email but also other applications like Word, Excel, PowerPoint and OneDrive), KEATS & Lecture Capture (Echo 360), and Student Records.

How will studying remotely affect my assessments?

We have extended the main assessment period to nine weeks, (27 April to 26 June 2020). Alternative assessment formats and modes will be utilised during this time for most programmes and modules. Your faculty and department will provide you with further information on assessment arrangements; please await further information from them. In all cases, King’s will ensure that academic standards are maintained. 

Some programmes may have different examination and professional and practice arrangements, which may need to remain in their current format. Again, you will be contacted by your faculty to confirm your assessment arrangements. Please follow your faculty’s specific advice directly. 

What pastoral support is available to me if I study remotely?

If you would like to discuss anything related to your studies, we recommend emailing your personal tutor in the first instance.

The levels of uncertainty surrounding coronavirus can understandably cause concerns. If you feel emotionally impacted, please do make use of the support services available to you. While you are studying remotely, you might find the below especially useful:

  • Student Services Online – a range of informative articles and enquiry forms for direct contact with Student Services
  • Big White Wall – a 24-hour confidential online support and wellbeing service.

Who do I contact if I have IT problems and can’t access learning materials or equipment?

You should contact the IT Service Desk as normal: